View Single Post
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,700 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Thank you for providing this article. I have to admit I found the Google translation a little hard to read. Perhaps someone could summarize some of the main points. Besides the Russian businessman that owes a 60% stake in Jolla could someone explain a little more clearly the motivation or how Jolla is being sold to the Russian government. Is it mostly due to sanctions (or potential ones) and a desire to own and control your own OS for security reasons? Does this mean that in the future Jolla is pretty much closed to the West as a possible product. Or is what is being discussed a totally separate branch of Sailfish that will be independent of Sailfish's normal development. Kind of a blackberry for the Russian government. I'm fine with that. Every country has to look after it's own interests however crazy it seems, but for me, Sailfish is the only OS that provides a real linux experience I like on a phone or tablet. Are those days over and is it time to give up on that and look elsewhere?
Nothing to be afraid of. Windows is used on many special and secret devices, manufacturers customizing it a lot, but it doesn't mean normal customers can't use windows. Same for SailfishOS: OMP and other structures will provide special software and services for SailfishOS, but OS code will not be modified to include these changes, it will be only prepared to allow manufacturers to customize SailfishOS on their devices. Normal customers will never see it on global market devices.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post: