View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Could you folks please clear something up for me. I've never quite understood the gnu of gnu/linux.
A lot of the confusion, as I noted above, is that neither Linux nor GNU are correct names for the object being named here. Linux is an operating systems kernel; GNU is a project to create a computing environment constructed totally from "free" source code (with exactly what "free" means being defined by Richard Stallman and his associates).

One way of putting it. If you took the gnu out of gnu/linux, what would you have? For example is the set of commands like "ls", "tail" or "more" part of the core linux or is that what gnu brings.
The funny thing is, all these commands were originally written by somebody, and all of them have their own story. "ls" was in the original AT&T Unix, and versions (with greater or lesser compatability) have been written for pretty much every Unix and Unix-like OS. Same with "tail". On the other hand, "more" was first created for BSD Unix.

Also, How about vi or vim?
One of my favorites. "vi" was created at Berkely as an extension to "ex", which itself was built on a foundation of editors going back to AT&T's "ed". Many extensions, clones, and complete rewrites of vi have been made over the years, including the very nice "vim". "vim" has the rather unique history of originally being written for the Commodore Amiga, based upon the code for a similar editor created for the Atari ST. Only later did it make its way to Unix systems. (BTW, vim is included with every copy of Apple's OS X. )

Finally when I think of a distribution like Debian and Ubuntu, is that then linux + gnu + whatever else Debian or Ubuntu has to offer. Where as Andriod is linux + whatever else Android has to offer.
Ultimately, the people creating a Linux distribution are free to choose whatever they want to add into that distribution. Some distributions strive to maximize the amount of GNU-based or GNU-compatible software (e.g. Debian), some strive to minimize it (e.g. Android), others are more agnostic (Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch, etc.). And, of course, not only can you find Linux without GNU, you can find GNU without Linux (lots of GNU code is available for BSD, for OSX, for Windows, etc.).

So yeah, the world is complicated out there.

Last edited by Copernicus; 2016-04-22 at 15:53.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: