View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
Mostly agree, though remember that there's plenty of ODMs out there who will happily put a AOSP fork on top of hardware designs they have if you want it.
But who would want such a device? I can get a heavily-subsidized Google Play-based Android phone from my cellular provider for practically nothing. An AOSP fork will be missing all the Google Play goodness, and I highly doubt it'd get subsidized to any extent, so as a consumer I'd have to pay more in order to get less.

Doesn't have to be the big manufacturers. The current ODMs are starving in a more and more decreasing margin for them on HW.
Yup. I figure that the current crop of manufacturers are going to have to be pared down a bit, as margins are just too low to support everybody. Apple's bubble is eventually going to pop as well; they've managed to milk their mobile device boom quite well, but nothing lasts forever. The iPod has certainly peaked long ago, and I doubt the aWatch or the aTV are going to be anything like the iPhone in popularity. And a shrinking market is going to make it even harder for new players to enter...

In short, I don't see why the common consumer would want (or care about) a new mobile OS. Not unless it did something that the existing OSs don't do, or don't do well. And there's very, very little that the existing OSs don't do...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: