View Single Post
Posts: 108 | Thanked: 579 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ Požega, Croatia
We are all biased here IMHO, so our responses are valid only if the target is (for starters at least) a rather small niche

Anyways, I guess small percentage of potential customers care about openness, developers, etc. - ie all the stuff we rant about all the time. They care about the price (no money there) and hw features they don't understand beyond bigger is better: Mpx, GHz, xxx core, inches (some money there). That lucrative area is for big players, leaving us in a bad place...

A couple of (biased) ideas:
  • Target other abandoned platform/device users (in house versions of SFOS for N900, N9 come to mind) in hope they convert to real device at some future point or donate for porting effort (many users considered migration to SFOS, but didn't because of it's state at the time and/or missing GHz, Mpx...)
  • Create alliance with other players targeting similar area in order to not duplicate efforts
  • Avoiding technologies that prevent easy app migration (wayland) or may cause usability issues (btrfs) until later point in time (funny how I got used to systemd - go figure...)
  • Find a "milking cow" - EU burns absurd amount of € for all kinds of stuff, I'm guessing it wouldn't be impossible to find some way of fitting this kind of project into their agenda.

On a side-note: I guess that I told you so and you should have listened to me responses aren't really helpful at this time.

Either way Jolla did make a difference, and continues to do so

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to filip.pz For This Useful Post: