View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
They think that they could together make a difference - and have the means to attract investment to do so. And believing that mobile is more than phones or tablets - it's the way that our minds digitally connect with each other. And today, it's corrupted.
Very interesting! Ah, but you'll need to define the term "corrupted" here. Lots of people seem to think of corruption in lots of different terms. Moreover, the majority of the mobile-using public don't seem to believe that there exists any corruption at all...

What would you have them do to disrupt the mobile market? Where should they attack?
From my own point of view: everything is tied way, way too tightly together. (And this is where, in my own opinion, the "corruption" seeps in.) Mobile software is tied way too tightly to mobile hardware, which is controlled way too closely by mobile device manufacturers, who are pressured way too much by both cellular providers and by governments. And thus, these walled-garden "ecosystems" pop up naturally, as the only way to serve the powers that be and control the activities of users.

The most disruptive option I could think of? Jettison the entire concept of creating yet another closed ecosystem on a specific device brought out by a specific manufacturer. Instead, create a hardware-agnostic OS, capable of running on top of any piece of mobile hardware. Don't even bother trying to license it to manufacturers; instead, sell it directly to the public, as an option to increase features or maintain support for mobile devices that the original manufacturer no longer provides adequate support for.

In short, pretty much follow the path Linux has done on desktops since the 90s and beyond.

I'm not sure that this mechanism would provide a great deal of income. And yeah, you'd have to manage the rooting / jailbreaking of each device this new OS would be sitting on. But, as rooting / jailbreaking has now become something of a standard practice (as sad as that sounds), I would imagine that you could actually build a business on it. (I mean, that's pretty much what Cyanogenmod is today.) But in short, I think this is the proper way to disrupt the scheme -- work your way in from the outside, rather than trying to follow the existing paths...

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: