View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
Per the browser performance testing I did on the Jolla & Nexus5, FireFox running inside Alien Dalvik VM on the Jolla is faster than any browser on the Nexus5 running Sailfish (SD800 is miles faster than SD400 in Jolla). This shouldn't happen.
Er, but why not? Mozilla is a group founded long ago to build a web browser, and up to this day still centered around their web browser. I would expect their code to be quite performant...

I tested UP performance on the Nexus5 too ... it also uses Qt, QML and libhybris for hardware adaption. If there are inherent issues with them, then they'd suffer too.
If I've got this right, UP is using "oxide" for their web engine, and oxide is based on chromium. Therefore, UP is using Google's engine for its web layout; which, again, should provide a superior browsing experience.

And, again, this is also what Qt themselves have recently done -- pretty much given up on their existing webkit engine, and gone with Chromium. If/when Jolla migrates to the more recent versions of Qt, their browser should hopefully better match Ubuntu Phone and other chromium-based systems...

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: