View Single Post
Posts: 269 | Thanked: 1,096 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hampshire, UK
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
Nope.
We're all sort of waiting for first impressions and full review from you (or anyone who's managed to get one).
OK, haven't had much chance to play with it yet, but here's my thoughts so far...

Hardware :
-Feels really nice and comfortable to hold once it's all together. It looks like a large device, but objectively it's only a little wider than a Jolla, and similar height and depth.
-Some online articles say it's got dual sim holder - it doesn't :-(
-Removing the rear cover feels like you'll break it.
-Screen seems really good, though I've not directly compared it to anything. The only mobiles I use regularly are Jolla and N900, so direct comparison would be rude and pointless.
-Camera seems to take decent macro shots (important to me, I tend to use the phone to document engineering details), and 1080p video seems OK.
-Battery life seems poor. Today had 25 minutes of phone calls, and a little wifi use. Battery has just hit 20% after 11 hours. (It's gone down another 6% while I wrote this, just because I keep switching it on and off to try stuff)
- No uSD card is a bit of a negative to me, though it is possible to mount a microUSB stick. FAT32, not exFAT (IIRC, I only tried a few things until I could read files off of the stick)

Software :
- Either the whole 'scopes' thing is a complete PITA, or someone needs to write some instructions for idiots like me. How the hell do I close an application? The only way I can find is to swipe into the 'portfolio' of scopes (usually 5-6 times until I can get it to stop onscreen, not select one scope) then slide all the extraneous apps downwards. Maybe theres an easy way I missed, or it becomes second nature, but it's been annoying me for 3 days.
- I really miss double tapping the screen to wake the device (Jolla stylee)
- The 'Today' scope is hopeless. Doesn't show enough information of anything, and spends a lot of of its time blank while (preusmably) getting location data to show sunrise time. Turn off geolocation and it just shows 'Sunrise:'. Irritating. The 'Apps' scope has buttons for 'phone', 'messaging', 'contacts' etc. and is much more useful as a home screen.
- I turned off the Today scope, for reasons above. Then I spent a half hour trying to find how to turn it back on.
- Lock seems to activate whenever the screen is turned off. I'd prefer 'after an hour unused' or something. I haven't played with the available options yet, this may be possible.
- Lots of stuff in the ubuntu store, but many (most?) of them are web apps... which just seems like marketing bullsh*t - is there a difference to just opening the web browser? I don't expect there to be many apps as yet, it's a new OS. I'd prefer to find a few decent native apps, rather than loads of disappointing web links. Who needs an Amazon app anyway? don't they have a 'normal' website?
- Bluetooth - cant make it non-discoverable. cant change device name. Seems buggy, took me 10mins to get it to connect to my car. Still can't connect to Jolla. Randomly finds/doesn't find devices.
- Facebook & Twitter integration - It has it, apparently. don't know, don't care.

I'm sure I've forgotten a lot of things, good and bad. I wasn't aiming to write a review, just point out the things that stand out to me. If this post reads as negative, it's not intended to. I have high hopes for this thing in the future... though maybe I'd like this hardware running Sailfish
Feel free to ask questions, I'll answer if I can... there doesn't seem to be much info online yet.

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to epninety For This Useful Post: