View Single Post
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
It is just as difficult to buy a laptop or tablet without a camera as it is without <choose your evil OS>. In fact, more so.
The problem with comparing unwanted hardware with unwanted software is that you can't compare them.
If you want your laptop without a camera or your car without an ipod socket you need something else instead, at least some sort of dummy that replaces the module. With laptop cameras that was even the case some time ago, but they seem to have ditched that approach.

This means that the camera/socket module needs to be a module in the first place and that there's another module ready to replace it with. This costs money. If you're willing to pay for that I'm sure you'll get your laptop without a camera and your car without a socket. The problem is, that from your perspective as a single end-user this proice would be ridiculous.

The situation with pre-installed operating systems is completely different. At least the business class manufacturers offer different Windows versions anyway. Chosing one or the other boils down to installing another HDD with a pre-installed image. There's no technical reason for them to not have an option with an empty HDD.
I would be willing to pay the extra money it costs to swap that HDD and probably even the loss in advertisement income due to the missing bloatware on my HDD.
The problem is that apparently there are contracts between MS and the laptop manufacturers/vendors that say no laptop may be sold without an OS (not necessarily from MS). In return the MS licenses are basically for free. At least that's what a small vendor who also sells laptops with Linux told me some years ago. Unfortunately he couldn't go into detail due to an NDA.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post: