View Single Post
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
[keysets are coded into Pierogi]
I see, and I can completely understand why you'd do so: if it's just a few ints here and there, it's reasonable enough, since the overhead to add some text file parsing to load the keyset(s) would be pretty large.

Still, I would vote in favor of having separate keyset files, preferably in a human readable format. It would enable not only the packaging flexibility suggested above, but also would enable a lot of flexibility for the end-user: people could test/develop modified/new keysets, even on their N900s directly, without having to rebuild the app for every change.

If you're okay with the idea but just don't want to take the time to code it, I wouldn't mind taking a go at it, and then you can reject/approve my patch as you wish.

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ah, well, the problems with the QtIrreco app kind of steered me away from this path. Actually, I really am not a fan of most modern remote-control apps, even if all they are doing is downloading advertisements; I really think a simple tool like this should be fully independent, and work without needing to access the net for anything.
I agree completely, which is why I was much more in favor of alternative 1 than alternative 2 anyway. Besides things like IDS/IPS rulesets, which need to have as rapid of updates as possible, I am tempted to say distributing stuff through third party servers when it can be packaged instead is not the best route to go - I just figured I'd throw it in there for completeness.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post: