View Single Post
Yeah, I think they mostly have been answered, if not asked in precisely the same terms.
Originally Posted by Rezigrene View Post
I'm planning on picking up a N800 off of NewEgg (280$ with shipping). I'm going to borrow a friend's in order to get a feel for it, before I go shelling out close to 300$ for one. I have a few questions though.

- I've never used Linux, ever. Is it going to be hard for me to load programs onto the tablet without any knowledge on the OS? I know I can get help on it from a friend of mine, but I'd like to be able to do what I can.
Depends on the program. Anything in repos, with proper .install files, should go smoothingly. Some things, games especially, are often only available as a download of bare binaries. Naturally, that's a little more hassle to install. But you should be able to do those without learning much.
- If I screw up with Linux, will I brick the thing?
Depends how you screw up. It can be bricked from software, yes. It's highly unlikely to happen by accident, if you define accident to exclude deliberately tinkering with dangerous parts of the system. If you do that, then a typo (and pressing enter without checking) can spell B R I C K.
- How much memory can it support? I've read 8BG, 4GB, 16GB, and 32GB. Which is it? I might not get one if I can't get it to work with at least 16GB of space (I'd get 32 if I could find it cheap enough.)
Up to 4 TB, AFAIK. Of course, no one is producing 2 TB SDHCs yet, but they should work. Currently available SDHCs run up to 16 GB (about $60), with 32GB coming real soon for about $300+. So you can have 32 GB (2 x 16GB) for about $120.

- And lastly, where should I go to but one? Is 275$ off of NewEgg a decent deal, or could I find one cheaper? What about the SD cards for it?
NO, that's not a deal! about ~$200 is right, look around. Buy.com, Amazon have them.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post: