View Single Post
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
What about adding a note on Wiki how to use Mbrola ?

Thanks! I'm glad you like modRana!
Thank you, MartinK!

I am setting up my N900 after a full reflash and I am in the process of installing applications. When I set up modRana, I will add this in the Wiki, probably tonight or tomorrow.

There various OpenStreetMap POI extracts available from various sources and I wanted to add support for using them for some time already but just did not get to that yet.

It is actually not that different from the current online providers - just find a suitable easily accessible offline POI database source and add a local provider implementation that can run searches over the file.

Also there is of course the built-in POI database you can populate manually.
I see, that sounds great! Having a builtin POI database would mean modRana would be a fully offline GPS solution for me (and it's not far from it the way it is, frankly.

Is there an API available for the FM transmitter (DBUS, CLI utility, Python accessible library) ? Depending on how long it takes to wake-up I could either force wakeup just before a voice message or make it stay on when turn-by-turn navigation is running.
I have no idea about this, sorry. I will investigate in a few days and tell you if I find something.

I have a few ideas for features/enhancements. Far from being criticisms, I think the fact that I've been using modRana a lot due to it being the best GPS routing program for the N900 hands down, got me thinking...

1. This is related to the last question about the FM transmitter. Perhaps there could be a toggle (under Options, under Voice, or in the main map). This would cause modRana to open a stream into PulseAudio and send silence into it (if that is possible). This is more elegant than having to do the hack manually from Media Player or some other program. You could either sense when the FM transmitter is active, or just make the whole thing manual. I think this wouldn't interfer with any other audio streams. And this solution is a fallback in case you can't implement the solution you proposed.

2. Night Mode! Or custom visual mode, customizable by the user.
Basically, allow the user to customize graphic filter settings to alter the way map tiles look. For a simple Night Mode you could invert colors, for example. When this mode is engaged, tiles are buffered and processed before being displayed, and possibly also saved for later use if the user chooses that. You could also offer a batch preprocess mode so that the alternate set of tiles can be processed ovcernight, similarly to how tiles are downloaded now for offline routing.

The simple version of this feature is just "Invert Colors" and call it "Night Mode". This feature would be super useful for all the non-satellite maps. Those maps have tiles which don't occupy too much space either.

For the Satellite maps, a set of specific filters would be amazingly useful, if applied in batch mode. I'm thinking about filters geared to lower the size of each tile considerably without too much quality loss. Dithering, pixelization, color depth reduction, etc. If you allow a user to adjust this and look at a preview, then batch processing and replacing tiles would save a lot of space on the satellite maps. Just a guess, I don't know hjow optimized the satellite tiles already are.

3. Route simulator. This would simulate a route on the map (possibnly at a speed adjustable by the user.

But most importantly: then we could fool Google Maps and other providers so that batch downloads don't fail. As you know, batch downloads don't currently work with Google Maps because they must easily detect that a batch download is taking place, based on the pattern of tile requests. If you simulate the correct pattern, I think this wouldn't be an issue.

I thought of some other features but they don't come to mind right now.

Last edited by malfunctioning; 2014-10-20 at 23:34.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to malfunctioning For This Useful Post: