View Single Post
Posts: 634 | Thanked: 3,266 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Colombia
Originally Posted by xes View Post
Now that i have explained what is under the hood of the services you are using, please let me understand why if you are a good licit member of this community you need tor to browse or contribute to wiki hiding your real ip or userid.
xes, thank you for taking the time to reply. I appreciate that your job is voluntary and that the recent maemo.org spam attacks have come as an unwelcomed inconvenience.

Since the revelations of Edward Snowden I have taken internet privacy more seriously than ever before and as a consequence it has become natural to me that I should use Tor for all internet activity. Having to disable Tor just to read the wiki or bug tracker is an inconvenience. Preventing read-only access does not help in any way to prevent spammers. I would recommend a policy similar to Wikipaedia where everyone has read-only access and should someone wish to update the wiki they are required to either validate their identity by logging in or they must disable Tor entirely.

As I already said, I appreciate that your job is voluntary so I would say there's no rush to implement this but I would at least like an acknowledgement that this is something that would be achievable in the near future.

Cheers.

Maemo Leste for N950 and N9 (currently broken).
Devuan for N950 and N9.

Mobile devices with mainline Linux support - Help needed with documentation.

"Those who do not understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." - Henry Spencer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to wicket For This Useful Post: