View Single Post
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
I was so excited by the Jolla launch that I paid to go to Finland to collect it. Had a wonderful time too. The interest on this forum was huge.

10 months on and it is very quiet here. The weeks leading up to to an N900 or N9 release would see a torrent of threads and posts. The Jolla updates barely get noticed, I have started the last couple of update threads and even a week and counting delay does not generate much comment.

I stopped using my Jolla as a smartphone when on a weekend break I realised it wasn't up to scratch and i found myself envying other devices and borrowing my wifes phone.

Terrible reception, awful video sound, dim screen that made typing impossible, no sat nav, and struggling to get back to the camera view if i had looked at a picture preview all added up.

Then I don't understand the community aspect any more. Jolla.together is a mess, official announcements seem to be all about India launch and very little on the OS. Exciting initiatives have never arrived and i just feel it has all run out of steam a bit. I have never met another Jolla user in the UK or anyone who has heard of it. ...and still no ability to purchase apps which will stifle Sailfish native apps.

I am amazed, however, at the quality of those who are producing stuff essentially for free. Tweetian, Friends and quite a few others have been brilliant.

I sold my n9 a few weeks back and it still feels like a betrayal, I can't say I have any such feelings for my neglected Jolla.

However I live in hope. Hope that some of the screens and functions seen on the demos back in the launch will be available and that battery % will appear on the largely redundant lock screen and that swiping left or right on that screen may actually do something.

So i hope the ship continues to sail and wish a safe voyage. I may get on board again when the cabins are complete.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post: