Thread: SolarJolla
View Single Post
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
I'm quite possibly the target market for solar charging my phone. I spend days on end away from any power sources sometimes bicycle touring.

I don't think a SolarTOH is very useful to me.

1) it's on the back. My phone is usually facing up, on my bars with mapping running or in a bag keeping dry. It'd not get any charge.

2) I'm always moving so keeping it facing sunlight would be tricky. Also, northern Europe so not exactly guaranteed sunshine.

3) It's too small to generate enough power compared to hub generators or much larger solar panels. I use a hub generator - 6v 3w at average cycling speed which feeds a buffer battery and then delivers USB 5v.

4) You'd have to leave the phone out in the open for hours to charge which generally isn't something you want to do with expensive kit on campsites or whatever.

What I need is a mega efficient transparent solar panel on the front of the phone so you could have it face up and using it.
I got the points. My last idea for solar toh was like this:

- use like 6 flex solar cells

http://www.flexsolarcells.com/index_...le-MPT6-75.php

- normally used as screen protector

- when you want to charge phone, unroll them and put on the sun

- depending on numer of cells you get like 300mA charging current

- the TOH is used to attach cells and for charging pins

But still dirk's solar TOH could be very useful for me if Jolla had proper charging support. Btw one more problem with solar TOH: if you want to use camera and TOH is charging, the GUI is very frozen...
Attached Images

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to psonek For This Useful Post: