View Single Post
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
maybe a good idea would be an option to get the XML file from a location on the web.
Also if the application reloaded the file on startup if more cameras were added it would update it and add them.
You could then subscribe to a XML "channel" in a way.
and

Originally Posted by mr_pingu View Post
Can't the xml be edited from the application itself?
I mean we should have a repository with possible cams and a way to browse this repository in fettuccine and add them to the list of saved cams.
That does sound like a better way to do it! Hmm. I think it would be easy enough to implement a UI for this, but I'm not really sure what would be the best way to handle the server side of things. As you say,

I am aware of the limitations like: Who can host, how can users contribute with own cams, how to make sure the host just doesn't dissappear?
A Maemo.org wiki page might be a possibility; the Fettuccine Github wiki page might work as well... But yeah, I'm not sure I know of a perfect solution for serving files like these. At the very least, I suppose it'd be useful to let folks retrieve these files from private servers...

Another idea: maybe there should be a sort of import dialog/wizard which can append all needed strings to the xml?
Well, I actually started out trying to do it that way, but got frustrated with just how much typing was involved; many of these webcam links tend to be long and chock-full of machine-readable gunk. (If I could get cut and paste working better, it might be bearable...)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post: