View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
A question concerning the spacer frame:
Since it's an additional piece of hardware it's an additional potential point of failure.

I tend to carry my N900 in my Jeans' side pocket which is rather tight (at least if you put a 2cm brick in it).
So far my N900 managed the stress (primarily pressure and sheer force) without any problems.
I'm no expert in materials science at all, so could someone please give an estimate on how the spacer frame might react to the same treatment, with respect to its material, shape (thin ring of plastic?) and mounting points?
The spacer is not exposed to particular pressure and sheer force, the two halves of Neo900 are connected via the 4 screws that hold the display sitting tightly on washers basically, which shall work even without any spacer frame at all. The only mechanical stress to the spacer frame is when you directly push on it, which isn't likely to happen given it's only some 2 mm high.

Your concern regarding device mechanical stability at large though is reasonable, and we need to take care that the display half will actually be mounted in a sturdy way to the kbd half

cheers
jOERG

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-02-05 at 00:59.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: