View Single Post
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
I'm starting to wonder if community needs any such entity, after all. Being the FOSS project maemo is, we effectively didn't need HiFo for a whole year now, and it gave us much PITA and nothing else during that year.
What exactly can maemo community expect HiFo will do for the community in future, once the whole mess got sorted and turned into the exact opposite of what it been so far - except somehow handling the already donated funds which we also had to make a living without them for the last year?
Just as a recap, in theory HiFo was established as an entity that Nokia could transfer intelectual property to. E.g. limited *legal* use of firmware, and binaries needed to keep autobuilder running. In addition *legal* use of the name maemo.org (but not necessarily Maemo). the thought was maemo.org (especially the autobuilder) would be paid for by the locked up funds. As I understand it, currently maemo.org is being run free for a year as a gracious favor.

But you know that already. So I'm guessing what you are really asking is "is it realistic to assume we'll ever actually get ownership of maemo.org actually transfered and ditto for the firmware/ stuff needed for the autobuilder.

Speaking as just another general citizen of the community, someone NOT involved with ANY communication with Nokia, I'm pessimistic. On the maemo.org front, it can stay up as long as someone pays the bills, and once that stops I'd imagine we could buy the right to the name when it becomes available. The important thing is to have an update to date copy of maemo.org. As for the binaries, they're being used by Mer/Sailfish for N9 project but cannot be redistributed.

If maemo goes poof, it would depend on whether MS bought those binaries from Nokia and whether they see Maemo as some kind of threat/possible source of revenue. if they think it's worthless, they likely wouldn't bother with a C&D order. If they begin treating it like Android, then we'd have to negotiate for a license. Again speaking completely out of my ***, I just don't see Nokia caring past a certain point. They may not officially allow it, but I just don't see them wasting time on preventing it.

But what do I know, HP managed to get Qualcomm to pay money for what's left of the IP assets related to Palm that HP had acquired.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jcharpak For This Useful Post: