View Single Post
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Win7Mac View Post
The founding members have to vote for the directors on the initial founding meeting. We just want to make sure to
We did this in forming the original Foundation by having the three founders agree that they would abide by the decision of the community and vote for the directors chosen by a general election. A similar setup to retain the existing directors (or by holding an election) would seem reasonable.

a) have a stable core staff of HiFo who don't completely change each year.
This is a tougher one to do while staying true to the idea of community elections for Board. The closest I have come up with is as follows (which I though of well after existing bylaws were in place):

Each Board position is for a two year term.
Elections are held each year for new board members.

This sets up a ladder of overlapping members, where about half of them are stepping down or are up for an election at any given time (one would hope). Not at all fool proof, but it's an idea.

Disclaimer(again): I'll be a happy founder, but not available as a director. I know there are others who can do much better.
If you can pull off actually getting an e.V. started, it shows you're more than capable of being a Board member. I hope when that moment comes you reconsider.

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Besides HiFo (or any such e.V., at least aiui) is meant to be the treasurer of maemo community.
It does just one task more than Treasurer, in that it is also a key holder. It holds the responsibility to ensure continued operation of the systems running on the communities behalf. (Not to administer directly, but to be sure things are being administered.) It also holds any legal rights and responsibilities that the community simply can not, since the community is not recognizable as a legal entity. (That includes things like having a bank account, paying bills, signing agreements or operational contracts, doing any tax paperwork needed to exist, etc.)

Otherwise HiFo should be (and has been) intentionally not directly involved in day-to-day operations. Those tasks are mainly handled by techstaff and council, with HiFo only stepping in when asked or when it is legally necessary to do so. Currently there are some overlapping members, where some are Directors and techstaff. But one is not, and should never be, a requirement of the other.

Last edited by woody14619; 2014-01-28 at 04:04.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: