View Single Post
Originally Posted by sungrove View Post
Could we just add a couple of words to your first line there? That it doesn't work for you. The thing is that if you read through the threads in this forum I think you can see that several people have this sync thing working. I do. I understand that there is plenty of room for improvement with this GVM thing. I am starting to wonder what percentage of people it's syncing for..... Maybe we can do a poll or start a thread on what kind of success people are having with syncing. That would be fine with me. I think the current appearance of the matter is that it is mostly a failure. Am I wrong?

Neil
Neil,

I think the GVM is an interesting capability that in some ways eases migration. There were three or four applications I really needed the GVM for and mostly it is a struggle so I worked to figure out native replacements on the Nokia such as:
- iSilo: install HTML docs and read them in MocroB
- SplashID - Figured out how to import into PassWord Safe.
- HandBase ??? Still working on that
- Oxford Catholic Study Bible - I have the whole text in HTML and use MicroB. Can't search from top to bottom though so I still use GVM.
- Ambo - daily Mass readings. This actually syncs well in GVM so I use the GVM.
- PIM data? Well using the GVM for PIM stat is tough. Boot up takes time. Starting the GVM takes more time and the screen layout makes reading the screen a pain. That's a lot of overhead to quickly record an appointment or phone number. Better option for me was to struggle with not syncing all PIM data easily and use native applications like GPE. So when the GVM didn't sync my PIM data, I ignored it.

Maybe I need to get used to leaving the tablet on all day rather than turning it on/off all the time.

Hope this answers your question.

Is the GVM a failure? Probably not if it's only a stop gap!

Frank