View Single Post
Originally Posted by bobofosho123 View Post
Hi everyone-

I noticed recently that the battery life on my N9 started sucking, i.e. it would drain completely in less than half a day even with light usage. I was almost positive it was a faulty battery so I decided to order one off Ebay and replace it myself. I received the battery in the mail yesterday along with a few screwdrivers that I thought were the correct kind. Only after taking the screen off the phone did I realize that the screws on the N9 were Torx-plus instead of regular T4 screws. As a result, I completely stripped 4 out of the six screws that secure the protective metal cover over the battery and motherboard.

Here's where the story get's interesting, after I stripped the screws I got a dremel tool and cut notches into the tops of each screw so that I could use a flat-head screwdriver to remove them. One of the screws sits right next to the front-facing camera so I had to saw into the camera in the process, completely destroying it. Eventually, after hours of insane effort I finally managed to get all of the screws out and put the new battery in.

As I put the phone back together I accidentally stripped one of the two T4 screws next to the charging port, so now I'm completely baffled as to how I can ever get the phone apart again. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

-bobofosh123
Torx-plus? I also had the screw-stripping problem by using a cheap torx set but solved it by buying a Wiha set. It was "normal" as far as I know -- didn't know there were two kinds (?!?). I thought some screws were completely stripped by my cheap torx set but with the Wiha I managed to remove them, fortunately. So you may want to try that. It's a very frustrating problem and I also thought I'd never open my N9 to replace the battery. I'm really sorry about the damaged front-facing camera for you. That sucks.