View Single Post
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Very nice! I've gotta admit, in these days of disposable cell phones, promoting the idea of hardware that can be supported years into the future is, for me at least, very compelling. There's gotta be some fairly decent sized group of consumers who are tired of throwing their phone away and starting over again every year or two.
Thanks! I hope for them as well as for all the N900 lovers and the ones scared by NSA/prism/tempora (though free hw doesn't really target that, first instance)
Hey, on the IrDA, do you have a specific hardware module in mind? (I wanted to do a little research and see what it would take to write software for it.)
The IrDA support comes with OMAP UART3, just needs the IR components. It's pretty simple.
Also, it might be better to describe the Consumer IR capability as a "learning remote" rather than "two-way", as pretty much no CIR devices support actual two-way communication. (Although there's no reason two Neo900s couldn't use it to communicate with each other...) Are you planning on having a separate CIR receiver, or trying to use the IrDA to receive CIR signals? Thanks!
Yep, thanks for the remark, we will edit that. For now my plan is to have 2 IR LED, one discrete high power one for CIR wavelength and the other one in IrDA module. RX will be IrDA module only. (see LIRC project, exploiting IrDA a common way to 'learn CIR')

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-09-16 at 01:50.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post: