View Single Post
Posts: 1,055 | Thanked: 4,107 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Norway
Originally Posted by Alecsandru View Post
lately i've been reading good things about wayland and mir ,but the question remain how does it perform compared to x11 , system resources , loading speeed , features?
All of those are pretty hard comparisons. But from the perspective of someone who has worked with both at pretty intimate levels, I'd have to say that x11 loses pretty much hands-down at all of them. x11 involves a lot more code (both in the server, and in the clients) which trickles down to harder to create features, worse performance, etc. Worst of all, there's so many moving pieces/code involved that it is not at all trivial to understand to fix bugs and improve performance.

That having been said, Wayland is pretty young and in some places immature -- and it shows. It also hasn't yet benefited from the years of debugging and improvements that the X server and protocol went through, but it is improving rapidly, and I'm sure it will continue to do so at great pace.

(full disclosure: I created the architecture for (and initial implementation of) Jolla's homescreen, as well as having had significant input/code in Nemo's homescreen -- I was also involved in early efforts prototyping the port to Wayland inside Jolla, and am still working on it now)

The Following 27 Users Say Thank You to w00t For This Useful Post: