View Single Post
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Will you buy the jolla phone? Yes, I'm sure you will eventually!
...why should i? Just for showing support to a company that (until this week?) couldn't even create a proper website?

Let's see how Jolla's infrastructure and application availability will have played out the 12 months _after_ they have delivered.
I'm not fanatical like some 'FOSS-only' guys around here, and i will especially _not_ freely churn out bucks for something that even the specs are not given!

If Jolla can prove us they can execute properly, they are on my short-/comparison list for future devices that i will acquire. Just being a bunch of ex-Nokians (that like to hang out mostly on IRC, Twitter & F*ckbook -> ...) using Mer that happended to also being involved in Harmattan and maybe Maemo is not providing enough ground for trust in them alone, will have to watch them for quite a while.

But: as it stands for 'being able to execute properly'; their entire way of communications can be purely labeled as 'fail', up to this point.

For now, thank you very much, but i've recently invested in devices that 'work' - they are running ('copy-cat') Android. I don't care for that circumstance, by the way. And i don't need more gadgets, i'm not some collector or one of those people that need to check out & get the latest... until their desk is full with devices.

Sorry for sounding almost like Lubeman, but i'm old & experienced enough now for not blindly following/buying into hype, whatever foundation it's coming from. And i've developed a special dislike for hackjobs over last year's course or so. And wanting something proven is not like "Europeans blindly following mainstream hypes", as some certain dorky basement-dwelling Swedes here like to spit out every so often. Who is following a hype here, if i may ask? Better think (and think deeply, when you should do) about it. Almost the same things happened here shortly before the N9 came out, which turned out to be a bit of a turd in certain areas; expectations, hardware reliability, or compared to its predecessors.

Now i just read that we have a F*ckbook so-called "Maemo" fanpage that prominently features.... the Jolla device. Excuse, me - huh? Did TMO somehow get (previously asked for) sponsoring or something else from them? The dimensions of this hype and sorry to say, but cult of followers are increasing...

...hats off to Mr. gerbick & Mr. danramos btw

PS.: having a heavy flood here since last weekend to take care of, so what's happening in Finland is currently of even less interest.

Last edited by don_falcone; 2013-06-09 at 16:54.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post: