View Single Post
Haven't really read the whole thread (sorry 'bout that, but I've been forum whoring all day! I swear this is the last one...), but I thought I'd throw in against all the naysayers. Look at the Amiga community. There are seriously people in that community that make all kinds of random hardware bits. Several make Playstation 1/2 controller adapters that plug into the Amiga. There is a single guy who runs Individual Computers that makes everything from CPU 'accelerator' boards to 'flicker fixers' (anyone who knows anything about the Amiga and even some older computers knows that they use old display technology that isn't exactly friendly with most modern screens).

And yes, there are even the makers of the Minimig, which is an FPGA based Amiga 500. So they would be a good group to look at when seeing what some people can accomplish as far as providing hardware or contacts of people to get a hold of for manufacturing actual product.

In fact, a couple of guys have recreated the PCB for the Amiga 1000 and have a parts list so you can build a replacement motherboard!

If there were indeed a kickstarter, money talks as the saying goes.

My only thing at this point really is; Why Maemo? To me the most awesome thing about it was that it was Debian based, and worked well on a small touch screen. What we need is Hildon ported to GTK3, and... oh wait, that's practically Gnome-Shell! It was inspired by Maemo after all. Let's just get a tablet device that runs Gnome-Shell, improve the few things it's lacking (get a proper gtk port of Maliit) and whip up a Debian Wheezy based setup. Though I think we'd want the base, but Gnome 3.8 (there are a lot of improvements since 3.4, which is what Wheezy has).

Then just polish up Debian (really easy to do) get GTK3 to be more touch friendly (multitouch, etc) and we'd be set. Then we'd have a real competitor to Ubuntu, which I hate

slaapliedje
I have figured out the reason 'smartphones' were invented. They are for reading the internet while pooping. This means the best smartphone ever created is the N9. It is the only one that works so well single-handed.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to slaapliedje For This Useful Post: