View Single Post
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
more about this 'transforms' part that in actuality results in all bylaws/rules getting LIVE and no one knows what is lost,
This referendum is not about "transformation". It's about aligning the rules so that the titles are effectively interchangeable. It allows Council to smoothly transition from working with Nokia to working with the Hildon Foundation. There is nothing lost in doing this.

I do believe while the rules about elections might be the bare basics, if you tell us changing MCC to HFC makes all other invalid I will have to vote NO in this referendum).
All other rules? What other rules? There are no other rules that I'm aware of for Maemo Community Council. Everything besides the election rules, from when to hold meetings to how to interact with the community, is based on tradition and has changed over time.

For example, when I became Council I pushed to have weekly public meetings on IRC. Before that they were held semi-randomly, sometimes announced on the mailing list, sometimes on TMO, sometimes not at all.

Even if there are other rules, the ByLaws don't impose any new rules to Council. It allows it to self-govern. So this effectively transfers all of Councils current rules into it's own governing rules, including keeping all the things around referendums.

Why referendum then? Will yes in that referendum make future referendums just an optional thing unlike today, cause it seems so
Did you read my reply to Joerg_rw?

This referendum is needed to fix problems with the existing rules. This includes the 3/5 issue, and the fact that the existing rules call out for a Nokia rep to make choices in special circumstances. The only thing this referendum is changing is that specific language.

To be clear: Nothing is changing about when a referendum is required and when it's not.

We have rules now that make referendum mandatory, now you propose the community to give up its power and trust few guys who will not be corrupted by power (should I point you to all politics drama threads?
You have rules for Maemo Community Council that make a referendum mandatory only for changes to rules on elections and referendums. That is the only time referendums have ever been mandatory. The changes in this referendum DO NOT CHANGE THOSE REQUIREMENTS AT ALL. In fact, it solidifies that requirement, so that as Council transitions from working with Nokia to working with HiFo, those remain in effect.

The existing ByLaws do NOT require a referendum for anything. Those ByLaws are already in effect. By keeping that language while aligning the other rules to match those in the ByLaws, Council is effectively reaffirming it's own governing rules (which the ByLaws say it can do) that referendums are required to change election laws for Council.

I don't trust you guys with that power.
There is no "power" in any of this. You've seen what happens when someone tries to "take power" in this community. They tend to get booted pretty quick.

Last edited by woody14619; 2013-03-27 at 19:07. Reason: Clarified language....

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: