View Single Post
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by artpra View Post
@ade,
in my opinion, "Dish cooktimes" dialogue is not working properly from UI design standpoint - such long list of empty fields is not functional. Some people will use only 3, some 10 and another one 100. You can`t predict all of the usage scenarios, so numer of those fields shouldn`t be fixed: it should be for single user to decide. I didn`t follow discussion on that matter (if there was any), maybe current design is a result of some fremantle constraints, but here are my propositions:

1. "Add" button can be static element, always in this position or be on the scrollable list with dish entries at its bottom, clicking "Add" will always add new dish field at the bottom of the list, after some number of fields created (i.e. 5), list becomes scrollable.

2. More plain approach, start with 3 fields, clicking "Add" will always add new dish field at the bottom, after some number of fields created (i.e. 5), list becomes scrollable.

In both options, text fields (dish names) could be wider, because You don`t need place on the right of the screen for scrollbar; shrink them, only when list becomes scrollable (i.e. 5 fields) and scrollbar is needed.
The scrollbar itself is very small (must be on such a small screen), so the space gain on that is very limited. But you do have a point that it is a bit useless to show the whole list if it is largely empty.

I added a "add" button next to the save button (see screenshots in the first post), so the list is expanded with a new line, on demand. The scrollbar will only show itself when needed (default behaviour).

The limit of 50 items is gone with this as well. I don't know how far you can push it regarding adding items, but you will find out for yourself . The physical size of the edit popup window is and will stay static, regardless the amount of items in the list.

Version 0.0.3-10 is finding it's way to extras-devel now...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post: