View Single Post
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Not adding to the person's statement you were arguing against; however I'd have to say that the N9 is more innovative for just a few of the following reasons:
  • Only phone to run MeeGo
    Only phone to run Harmattan
    First phone with Swipe UI
    First phone to use all polycarbonate build from one piece
    Has won many design awards
    Developed by a very small, yet determined group of people whereas WP7/WP8 is built by a HUGE group of folks
Not saying that means much; however it does mean that the N9 could be seen as an innovator given when it came out, how it came about and how it was seen in the community.

Just saying...

Well, your last 2 points aren't "innovation" are they.
And your first 2 points should actually be a single point.

Don't get me wrong, I love the N900 and N9 as much.
I'm sure you know that I know the merits of the N9 quite well.

The only thing good (if you actually think it's good) that came out of N9 was the polycarbonate body so far. (which Nokia kept using) But I actually don't like how that lead to non-replaceable battery, lack of MicroSD card slot and more weight. (e.g. Lumia 920 is 2mm thicker and weighs over 50g more than the Galaxy S3 which has a bigger display, bigger battery, full SIM card slot and MicroSD slot that Lumia 920 lacks)

Prettiness has a cost and I'll rather have a N900 design than the N9 if it has the same internal HW. I'm sure most here would. So yeah, I actually feel the monocoque body of the N9/800/900/920 is not "good" innovation. To me, 820's interchangeable shell design is more of an innovation than the limiting and heavy (although strong) uni-body of N9.

Last edited by jakiman; 2012-09-17 at 01:43.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post: