View Single Post
Posts: 1,361 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Toronto, Ontario, Canada
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...041500125.html

My sole comment: I think if the reviewer had spent more than a few minutes with the out-of-the-box apps they might discover it did a lot more... kind of like saying the Washington Post has no content because you never looked past the front cover.

- Handwriting recognition is passable if you teach it

- Handwriting recognition being 'ploddingly slow' can be adjusted in the control panel

- Only Wifi will work given how often carriers disable DUN on their phones? I can't think of many phones that allow DUN over BlueTooth without a data plan. And if you're paying for a data plan, why would they disable it?

- Hard to configure a data connection over bluetooth? There's a button called [Connect]. Is it the "Are you sure" prompt causing the confusion, or entering the PIN on both devices?

- The 770 didn't connect to his home network. Concrete walls? Does his laptop connect in the same places? Is his home network sound? This has left me 'guessing at the cause'.

- Opera crashed when too many pages were opened... on a 64MB tablet... and?

- Page zooming - - howabout "optimized view". 5 seconds of poking around would've revealed that.

- No comment on the mail app - - I use web based email. Previous commentary on it sound like the reviewer's dead on though.

- Stuck if someone emails you a Word or Excel file. These are common tasks that I perform when browsing the internet. Honestly. (Ok, I lied.)

- RS-MMC cards being hard to find: Have you tried any cellular stores? You know, thouse phone outlets that are more populous than the computer/electronic stores which seem to be involved in the conspiracy to not stock RS-MMC cards? Howabout that interweb thing. I heard you can buy things there.

- 4.5 hours of battery life while browsing. Finally a review that compares to my experiences.

In summary, yet another case of someone expecting a laptop in the palm (no pun intended) of their hand. I find it interesting that Nokia has done nothing but niche it as an "internet tablet", market it for typical "internet" use, but people have had conniption fits over the fact that it's not a cell phone, they can't open MSOffice files, and that they have to *gasp* go online to find more software. Did they forget where half the junk installed on their XP boxes came from?

Given the incredibly few good points mentioned, something was up. I don't think it was an objective review at all. Apologies for my growing sarcasm as this post evolved, I was rolling my eyes so many times during reading the review that I couldn't help but get it out of my system.

Well. I'm off to make a phone call on my copy of the Washington Post. (It can't load MS Office files though.)

Last edited by Hedgecore; 2006-04-17 at 16:38.