Thread: Navit on N900
View Single Post
Originally Posted by sup View Post
As I am next to my computer and not in a car, I have not tried navit in practice yet, so I have a couple practical questions also:

1) Is it possible to display the speed of the vehicle from GPS? I cannot find anything in the settings. As I am indoors, GPS is not locked, so I do not know if it changes then.

2) How sound and directions work? I set a destination and set my position (not through GPS but manually, GPS is not locked), the route gets displayed, but I cannot find directions anywhere and the phone does not speak.
I found in this thread the following speech.xml content I am using.
Code:
<speech type="cmdline" data="echo '%s' | espeak -ven-us+f2" cps="1"/>
Navit does not complain, but is there a way to test the speech without actually driving around?

3) Is it possible to turn off points of interests from view? There are so many in my city (Prague) that I can only barely see the roads underneath them.

4) And the last one. If I take a wrong turn, does it reroute itself automatically?
Well, I dug into this a little.

1) Yes, OSD must be configured for this.

2) Sound still does not work for me. OSD must be configured directions. See below for example.

3) I believe it is possible. Have a look here. Items in navit.xml called itemgra can be deleted and then they are not shown. I think, I actually did not try this.

4) Yes, it does.

Anyway, what I learnt is that one needs to look up the navit wiki, even though the information there sometimes does not seem to be correct (i.e. scale layout item does not work for me).

I went ahead and created an updated layout based on layouts for N770-810. I attach the neccesary files. I created custom 72x72 icons, they need to be extracted into /opt/navit/share/navit/xpm/

OSD.xml is based on files here (mainly the third one). navit.xml is modified from the version by the user arne.anka form post #566 of this forum. The changes are mainly to lines beginning: "<navit" (I changed the default gps position, lowered initial zoom level, orientation follows vehicle, zoom is adjusted according to the vehicle's speed and and it starts in 3D) and "<gui type" (it stars in fullscreen). The documentation to that is here

However, I still do not understand why sound does not work. What is your working configuration (both navit.xml and speech.xml?)
Attached Files
File Type: zip navit.zip (54.8 KB, 93 views)

Last edited by sup; 2012-08-19 at 19:30.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sup For This Useful Post: