View Single Post
Posts: 469 | Thanked: 88 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montana
Originally Posted by DJames1 View Post
Looks great in theory, but I just tried this repository index to find a missing library (libgdbm3) for installing the 2008 version of Maemo Mapper, and it didn't seem to work. My search found 19 hits in various repositories, but I already had the first few repositories installed in my App Manager. I added the next couple as well, but no help - the missing library did not appear and the install still failed. Finally I gave up trying to install Maemo Mapper from the deb file, since it had appeared in the installable Apps list at some point while adding repositories, and I just added it successfully from the Apps list. I have no theory why the repository index is either wrong, or I'm using it wrong.

This isn't the first time that I've noticed that an attempt to install from a deb file will fail, while the install from the Apps list succeeds. I am right in guessing that the version in the Apps list must already contain the missing dependencies?

It's better then theory IMO . The site routinely visits the repositories, so it should be pretty accurate.

A couple thoughts here though...

First off, I have a feeling you are not in "red pill" mode. Generally that's not a problem. However if you are trying to find/install some specific package is categorized outside the standard "User" categories, it's not going to visible in Application Manager if you aren't. Bascially they try to shield people from seeing everything by just providing a view into User packages (which are generally installable applications.

But that brings me to the confusing part. Really you shouldn't need to install that lib directly if it's a "dependency" for MaemoMapper and you have a repo in your list that contains it. Regardless of wether Application Manager shows you it (red pill) or not, I'm under the assuption it knows about it and would install what is needed and available behind the scenes. At least I've installed apps like Maemo Mapper without specifically installing required libs by themselves. (?)