View Single Post
Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by linuxrebel View Post
Despite the claims to Wh.I.N.E. (whine is not effective) I see something else in here. The true underlying point, is I believe, that the n800/n810 are not garage products. Clem and his second cousin one his fathers side (fourth on Mom's side) didn't create it. One of the largest personal electronics firms in the world did. Amazon had the n800 listed as the #3 computer (Not PDA but COMPUTER) in Christmas sales. Yet when support is needed (downloads/repairs/etc) The product falls flat on it's face.

Even in here there is a considerable amount of excuse mongering, finger pointing and snob like behavior. Looking always to pass blame off onto that dumbass consumer.

Misspelled directories, unverified and unsigned downloads, unwillingness to follow proven technologies,(deb's/apt), actions interpretable as anti-oss (OGG), efforts to drop support for a product still in the pipline (770) these are some of the actions costing Nokia hard dollars, and hard won support in the geek/gadget/Linux world.

I mean is it to much to ask a commercial product, to appear commercial. Linux is not a shield against professionalism, it's actually a call to open professionalism. Rather than being an excuse against quality, Linux is designed to hold itself to the harsh light of fully open no stone left unturned scrutiny.

I'm used to Linux that just works myself, because of that, and because Red Hat, and Debian are so reliable, I can automate, monitor and maintain the systems in, 3 data centers in 3 cities ( small less than 50 systems each DC ) Pretty much on my own.

Oh and to make flames easier, chose a number.

1. RTFM
2. I found it on google in less than 30 seconds
3. Someone else's software is no good
4. I'll kick your *****
5. Emacs sucks
6. VI sucks
7. Nobody uses that.
8. N00B
9. It's open source fix it yourself.
10. File a bug report
Good points all... and I think number 7 on your list is what some of us fear will be the tablets future without support.

Let's clear this up for the Linux veterans out there who do at times, come across as holier than thou.

We are not talking about support for yet another Linux distribution...

We are not talking about support for a device that can load and run other OS's...

We are not talking about support for an OS designed for multiple devices and configurations...

We are talking about support from a company that produces a "closed" source OS, on a device that they manufacture, and...
it has their freakin' name on it!

Nokia has enjoyed the help of this forum, and the open source community at large for supporting the tablets for the past few years.

Now that sales of the N810 are more mainstream (Amazon!.. who'd a thunk?) it is time to tell NOKIA, et al, the free ride is over.

Let this forum get back to what it does best...support for the tablet community.

Not a 24 hour live help desk for new N810 customers.