View Single Post
After trying many ways, my 20G usb hard disk(2.5") works on N800!

Thanks for Mara's shell script, it works fine. And thanks for all other pepople's quick answers. I share my experience here hope it's helpful for someone meet the same problem.

1. My portable usb hard disk is realy a DIY thing. I bought a 2.5" hard disk which is actually used in laptop and a usb hard disk box which can convert the IDE bus to usb bus. The usb hard disk box is very cheap, I guess it's reason why my attemps failed.

First, I made a cable(one end is male mini B, the other is femal USB A type receptacle ) to connect a mini usb hub (with 4 usb A receptacles and one usb A PIn)which has a separate power supply, then connected hard disk to usb hub, it didn't work.

Then, I used usb cable shipped with N800 connect to hard disk directly, and usb the adaptor of mini usb hub to supply the current, aslo failed.

Finally, I used N800's original usb cable connect to HD directly, and a adaptor to supply power, Success! The power of this adaptor is 5V* 1600mA. Can you Believe that? The adaptor of mini usb hub is 5V*1000mA. With this powerful adaptor, my HD works good on N800, the file manager pops up quickly. Transfer larger file( 600M) is also very good.

The usb cable is also very important for such access. I tried my homemade cable to connect another cable, then connect to hard disk, usb symbol shows on status bar, but can not access file. It seems the singal's attenuation is very heavy via too many connections.

Have fun with your N800!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thmos John For This Useful Post: