View Single Post
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
In a little bit more than 3 month, the standard of chinese craplets has changed tremendously. Now for $99, I would expect OS 4.0.3/1024X 600 resolution/8G flash/1G Ram/cap/5 pt multitouch/no BT/noGPS, for example, ICOOD70GT from pandawill dot com. This measures sharptly against my previous 'shopping guide', which was OS 4.0.1/800X480/4G/0.5G/cap/5pt multitouch/no BT/no GPS; look back at my Nokia experience, it took almost a year for each upgrade, 770 > N800 > N810 > N900. I know, comparison is not fair as Nokia is a company and chinese craplets is from a country; anyway, I am amazed.

One more note: when migrating from resistence to capacitance screen, there are some 2 point multitouch capacitance screen. So, read the spec carefully, some still sells 2 point capacitance multitouch or simply, just labelled as 'multitouch'; one of them is Ramos. So dont get upset if you are careless and swap in a 2 point multitouch screen instead of the now standard 5 points. And some are tauting 10 point multitouch... who is going to hold the tablet for you if you are using ALL 10 fingers? Just a joke

Most new chinese craplets are wifi b/g/n standard, the old ones are b/g, no n. while the expansive ones are a/b/g/n. I am not quite sure the practical use of protocol a, as it is rather short distance. But n is a biggie, if you looking into the future. The bottom line, if your router is at least a year old and has no plan to upgrade, chances are, you dont have protocol n. I strongly recommend to get a router with n protocol as n is more than just faster, up to 150 MBps, it is also more stable in my experience. I got a refurbished one for under $30, dual channel and has been my work horse for 6 wks now, not even 1 drop signal. Most common routers are g, 54 MBps.

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2012-06-06 at 20:46.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post: