View Single Post
Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
First of all, you nonGPS tabletizens can only salivate... maybe USB-GPS if you really really want to try .

Without much ado, the title said it all. PD10 has built-in GPS, lets fire it up, but without poking a hole in the wallet.
If you have data connection, this is not for you, please go away.

For the poor guy like me, I would love to have offline GPS app. So far I found 5. Post if you find more or just any comment, or even better, press the Thanks button

1) GoogleMap Yes, you can use it offline, limited to 10 mile radius though.

Map > menu > Settings > Labs > enable Pre-cache map area
Map > put your finger down at the center of 10 miles radius that you planned to use offline and hold it down till a dialogue appears > click the dialogue> Pre-cache map area, it would dl the map; tada, you can now use Googlemap for that city offline; it has FULL function of googlemap with turn-by-turn voice direction. cacheMap disappears WITHOUT WARNING after 30days, someone said. Routing has to be done with wifi before trip. It will correct route offline, very versatile. Voice guidence and turn-by-turn

Only for Google map 5.6 and above. mine is 6.8.0

Rumor has it Google is working on putting out an offlineMap package by summer 2012, may NOT be free though.

2) Maps(-) GoogleMap without 10 mile radius limitation, dl map and cache to SD card.

3) NavFree USA or NavFree (outside USA) Voice guidence, turn-by-turn.

4) MapDroid simple and easy to work, no routing or voice guidence though

5) Osmand OpenStreetMap by history. Today, you can choose any map source you want, including GoogleMap or M$map, voice guidence and turn-by-turn

Enjoy,

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2012-05-31 at 04:44.