View Single Post
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
There's no restrictions on the SGX drivers (not even 'don't use outside nokia devices' or 'no commercial usage'), but you would have to use Debian armhf to use them as they're in hardfp ABI. If I was you I would use the new drivers, the kernel drivers are open and we support vsync. Userland is naturally closed, but redistributable.
What "new" drivers are you referring to?

There is very good reasons why Maemo is like it is and not just a UI slapped on top of upstream Debian.

It bends down to how the software performs in a mobile setting: the memory footprint, the wakeups software does, the storage footprint. Maemo and MeeGo did a lot of slicing and dicing that was needed to provide the quality mobile products you see now.
True that mobile OS is not easy to get to from desktop OS. I assume when you say Maemo, you mean fremantle. And when you say mobile, you mean cellphone.

I sometimes think we might be better off letting go of the cellphone hw adaptations and target a N8x0 era solution consisting of a (let it be closed because we can't get it open anyways) small cellphone w/ bt pairing to open source tablet. That opens up the options a bit. I know that is limited and puts a lot of people off, but better a small success than a large failure.

Anyway.. starting sometime after March, I'm returning to being just a community member around here, with no special accesses or privileges
Good to have you back.