View Single Post
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Agreed. Same reason I was against running. That, and the fact that I tend to ruffle feathers, and would be hard pressed to win an election here. I often say what I feel is right, and what is true, neither of which tends to be very popular.
Considering fact that there were only 3 people throwing their names into hat, and up to 5 of them could candidate *without* need for any election (i.e, for example, you and me candidate to would make Council count 5 people, which still result in no-election mode) you would be automatically granted the right to volunteer as Council member, taking bites for things, that aren't in scope of your powers

Or... We could start the process of reproducing the garages into opensource git servers, and cloning the existing repository into one supported by the Debian initiative. (I'm pretty sure we can find allies there willing to help there, as many have suggested in the past.) Yes, we could only do that for Extras, CSSU, and such for legal reasons. But we have to start somewhere. And if we have 100% of the source there, and all but the binary-blobs there, that lowers what Nokia has to keep running. Static repositories and image servers are quite easy to maintain, and are much more appealing to Nokia, I'm sure.
+1. Any possible "roadmap" about how we should start?

Whoa now... I understand your frustration, but understand what's happened here. We're talking about a pretty young kid (starting freshman at university) who was pushed by others into biting of more than he could chew. He was actively avoiding taking on a leadership role just 9 months ago because he wasn't sure how much time he would have when school started.

If this were someone in a paid position, or someone with experience in this, and an otherwise stable life pattern, yes, scorn would be merited. Also, from what I can tell, MAG hasn't been online at all. He could have been in an accident, or snowed in without net access. Or maybe some other major life event has occurred. It's clear that he's made a choice to vanish, like those that have hopped onto the N9 ship and are in those forums now, but not responding here for N900 stuff.

This kid knew it was going to be a task, and that his life was going to go into blender mode in short order, and gave plenty of warnings about that. Blaming him now for something we knew was coming just isn't right.

I for one appreciate what a lot of folks here have done, MAG included. While I think some could have (still could) make life a little easier by putting in just a little effort to assist transitions as they leave, I don't think this one is quite as clear cut on who's to blame.
I also appreciate his former contributions, and would generally agree, (and if he was really catch into position without chance to leave us a sign - i.e. arrested, caught into snow/sand/meteorite/whatever storm, hit by a bus etc, I would gladly excuse, and bite my own shoe + tongue as lesson for further), except for one thing.

No matter if he predicted problems or not. It's easy enough to drop one liner "guys, I got enough, I'm leaving now - sorry". Heck, even without "- sorry" it would be ok. I agree that putting effort into smooth transition when he want to leave would be much appreciated, but I would not say a single bad thing (and would grill others ranting about that) even if he would screw transition and just *inform* that he won't be contactable for fixed/unfixed amount of time.

Disappearing without any warning is act of extreme disrespect for plenty other people contributing to CSSU, and he's old enough to know that. We've been through this with Titan (and, there is good chance that current problems with promoting kp are derivatives from his behavior), and it's a no-go for me.

/Estel

// Edit

Yet, I must agree with one thing. Situation, when repos are organized in such a way, that one disappearing kid can showstop work of whole CSSU team, is even more no-go, and even more likely to being blamed, than kid acting as catalyst. That's why I think we need to make roadmap of git servers transfer, as fast and possible, discuss it with SD69 (I'm sure he will be more than happy to help), and start doing so.

Even considering plans of fully cutting bounds with Nokia, i think it's better to fundraise having something that works (i.e. people actually see, for what they're donating), and it could greatly boost morale for not-trivial process of transferring into legal non-profit entity.

On IRC, joerg_rw stated that he may donate server for a few months for that purpose (disclaimer: it was hypothetical talk, so don't bite him if he would finally not decide to do so), and I'm pretty sure there would be more people willing to intensively contribute - both by work and money, when needed - until we would finish requirements to start fundraising without any legal doubts.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Last edited by Estel; 2012-01-10 at 23:22.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post: