View Single Post
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
I'm quite afraid that in his position, I would be exactly powerless - there just aren't *any* real tools that council have, if Nokia (and, X-fade as it's extension) isn't willing to help.
Agreed. Same reason I was against running. That, and the fact that I tend to ruffle feathers, and would be hard pressed to win an election here. I often say what I feel is right, and what is true, neither of which tends to be very popular.

I think that it would be best to move *all* infrastructure out of Nokia's "patronage"
Of course, this require fundraising, creating foundation.
Or... We could start the process of reproducing the garages into opensource git servers, and cloning the existing repository into one supported by the Debian initiative. (I'm pretty sure we can find allies there willing to help there, as many have suggested in the past.) Yes, we could only do that for Extras, CSSU, and such for legal reasons. But we have to start somewhere. And if we have 100% of the source there, and all but the binary-blobs there, that lowers what Nokia has to keep running. Static repositories and image servers are quite easy to maintain, and are much more appealing to Nokia, I'm sure.

[personal rant]
Shame on You, MAG
Whoa now... I understand your frustration, but understand what's happened here. We're talking about a pretty young kid (starting freshman at university) who was pushed by others into biting of more than he could chew. He was actively avoiding taking on a leadership role just 9 months ago because he wasn't sure how much time he would have when school started.

If this were someone in a paid position, or someone with experience in this, and an otherwise stable life pattern, yes, scorn would be merited. Also, from what I can tell, MAG hasn't been online at all. He could have been in an accident, or snowed in without net access. Or maybe some other major life event has occurred. It's clear that he's made a choice to vanish, like those that have hopped onto the N9 ship and are in those forums now, but not responding here for N900 stuff.

This kid knew it was going to be a task, and that his life was going to go into blender mode in short order, and gave plenty of warnings about that. Blaming him now for something we knew was coming just isn't right.

I for one appreciate what a lot of folks here have done, MAG included. While I think some could have (still could) make life a little easier by putting in just a little effort to assist transitions as they leave, I don't think this one is quite as clear cut on who's to blame.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post: