View Single Post
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Compatibility of course. Instead of recoding 100% of an app to run across multiple platforms, code an HTML5 layer for consistent look and feel for all and address unique aspects with lower-level code. So that the average app could be, say, 50% common code and 50% native. That saves time for companies like Rovio who like to land on every platform.
I really do not understand this point of view. If you want portability, you use C and something like SDL, or GTK or QT, which are guaranteed to run on almost all devices with a screen. HTML 5 is very unstandard (lots of machines don't have support for it), and when you mix native code to it you lose all the multiplatform benefits you might have had.

In addition, not every app needs the native horsepower or functionality. HTML5 will be able to address a great many handy little utilities by itself.
But why? How many people know C compared to HTML5? I don't see how implementing even simple applications in HTML5/JavaScript is easier than in C/C++.

I can understand why C++ developers get overwrought about paradigm shifts like this one, but really, there is nothing to fear, belittle or berate. Just another tech evolution.
Evolution? If by evolution you mean usefulness, then this is an involution. Are you under the impression that the CPUs are infinitely fast, and use no energy? Each extra level of abstraction will eat your battery and slow down your device.