View Single Post
Posts: 63 | Thanked: 52 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by djs_tx
Remember though one significant issue with Qtopia: Commercial development is not free. If you are making a GPL package, then there is no charge to use the QTopia tools. If you want to make a buck off your package you have to license QT from Trolltech.

And I think you will find the true power users are pretty satisfied with the platform. Remember this is basically a hardware beta. And I think they are doing pretty well so far.
David
Who wants to buy programs that run on free software?

Why does this argument always come up when someone mentions products from Trolltech?

Linux and GPL are about FREE software, not some proprietary closed source applications. We want more free software, not more closed source applications! There are plenty of expensive closed source programs for Windows mobile, do you want that to happen to linux?

Qtopia pda edition is GPL, which means it is open source, which means any software written with it must be open source.

You do NOT have to license Qt to write closed source Qtopia applications. Trolltech offers a binary SDK for about $200 USD.

That said, it is possible AND legal to make money off selling GPL software. I have done it. I know of lots of others that have done it.

Last edited by lpotter; 2006-03-09 at 19:58.