View Single Post
Posts: 670 | Thanked: 747 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Originally Posted by shallimus View Post
Eh? Maybe it's cos I haven't finished my coffee, but this doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

If this does force HW manufacturers away from Android (why would Google want this? surely they'd want the opposite, with all the royalties/patent strangehold/ad views this would entail) then why would this cause Nokia to need an insurance policy? More WP7 takeup is good for the new Zombie Nokia, unless I'm missing something...
+1

On the patent side, there's another possibility. Instead of charging for the patents they own, Google could strengthen Android's market position even further by offering free usage rights to HTC,Samsung and others if they use Google-approved versions of vanilla Android. That way they can have some control of the (so called) "fragmentation problem" caused in part by Sense, Motoblur and similar overlays without making Android more closed than it already is. The carrot-and-stick approach. Use vanilla Android, we won't charge patent fees.
Registered Linux user #266531.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Crashdamage For This Useful Post: