View Single Post
Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by eldiablo View Post
I'm not argueing. I'm correcting. It's false. I don't ever have malware as I monitor running processes in taskmanager and use hijack this for stuff that starts up that shouldn't. Do just that and you will find all the malware without further security programs. I only find cookies when I use security programs because this method is that effective.
Let me tell you something:
There is a hundred ways to prevent a piece of code from appearing in the task manager, and another hundred ways to hide itself in the hard disk, back in the day I liked to do low level programming and could easily do such tricks.
It's documented that the mean infection time of an unprotected windows xp connected to the internet is about 20 minutes.
A resident anti-malware program hooks deeper into the kernel detecting some of those tricks and can catch many "infections" before they happen, many many more than you looking at the task manager.
It is useless to run anti-malware scanners from the assumed to be infected OS, boot from alternative safe media is mandatory.
But:
Anti-malware scanners use databases, they won't catch everything and they become outdated.