maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [M5] [Announce] Yappari - New maintainership and new features! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94465)

ceene 2015-01-15 09:05

[Announce] Yappari is finished.

YAPPARI IS DEAD. (2016/06/05)

Hi all

Please, see http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1478

Best regards

davisrases 2015-01-15 16:38

Re: [Announce] Yappari - New maintainership and new features!

great work Ceene. Contributors like you mean a lot to this community. Keep up the good work. And thanks a lot for the update. Will try it out.

s4br0s0 2015-01-15 16:58

Thanks for continuing the project.

Questions.

Is there supouse to be blue checks or still the green ones?

The caption thing, if you put a caption, when people recieve the picture will see the caption? (don't know how it works on official).

If so, i will be able to see this caption from someone who send me a picture captioned? (recieve duh, mostly wants to know in groups).

Does this work just in personal or in groups chats too?

Greetings.

ceene 2015-01-15 17:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4br0s0 (Post 1456763)
Thanks for continuing the project.

You're welcome :)

Quote:

Is there supouse to be blue checks or still the green ones?

You should see one green check when the message has arrived to Whatsapp servers. When the message has reached the receiver's device, it will turn into two green checks.

And finally, when the user has read, the two green checks will turn into two blue checks.

However, this functionality is still buggy. It doesn't work on groups and sometimes the blue checks don't appear when they should. However, there are no false positives (it will never turn to blue if the user hasn't opened your conversation).

Also, Yappari isn't still able to notify the other party of the conversation that we have read their messages, so from 1.1.52 you can see blue checks but they won't see them yet.

Quote:

The caption thing, if you put a caption, when people recieve the picture will see the caption? (don't know how it works on official).

If so, i will be able to see this caption from someone who send me a picture captioned? (recieve duh, mostly wants to know in groups).

Does this work just in personal or in groups chats too?

People will see that an image has been sent and the caption you wrote for it (and viceversa for images you received). Then, the image will be downloaded and they could see both the image along its caption. This means that even if the connection is slow, as soon as they are notified of a sent image, they will see the caption below its thumbnail.

Before version 1.1.52 it is possible that people were sending you images with captions and you weren't able to see the caption associated, thus missing part of the information.

This is an official feature, and it works on Yappari exactly the same as in the official clients, working both on individual and group chats.

capitannemo 2015-01-15 21:33

Hi cenee!

Many thanks for keeping Yappari alive & many thanks to scorpious as well for all his huge effort in Yappari. :)

As I must use Yappari every day for professional reasons losing Yappari availability would mean losing my lovely n900 too... I hope that not to happend ever!! :eek:

Please consider to open a "donate" link to support your unvaluable work.

Best wishes to you & scorpious :D

s4br0s0 2015-01-15 22:33

The blue check is more like purple, i mean is very dark blue.

Maybe could be change to the same color of the icon or a blue that match with the grey of the (you) part of conversation.

Or stay like that, there's no chance to don't notice the diference with the green.

Greetings.

Frasier 2015-01-16 07:13

Hi Ceene Thank you for taking the project over and putting time and effort into it. Much appreciated.

Is it possible to put a link in the update notice where the new version can be downloaded? I cant find it in App Manager.

magio0_0 2015-01-16 08:39

Thanks for going on with this project.
I, like alll maemo users, hate it, but in Spain has got the monopoly of its kind of services. So thanks to this kind of efforts we can communicate with people outside maemo world.

Good luck with the project

ceene 2015-01-16 08:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by capitannemo (Post 1456798)
Hi cenee!

Many thanks for keeping Yappari alive & many thanks to scorpious as well for all his huge effort in Yappari. :)

As I must use Yappari every day for professional reasons losing Yappari availability would mean losing my lovely n900 too... I hope that not to happend ever!! :eek:

Please consider to open a "donate" link to support your unvaluable work.

Best wishes to you & scorpious :D

Hi!

You know, I bought my N900 on March, I have had it for less than a year now.

On one hand, this phone fully represents what I believe to be cutting edge technology (when Nokia was still Nokia) both in terms of hardware and software. Of course it's a bit outdated now, but I found the combination of hardware+software that gives live to our N900 makes it useful still today. This is one reason for which I bought a N900.

On the other hand, while I was researching if N900 would suit my purposes, I found maemo.org and this wonderful community. I saw that even today, people were still creating new software and maintaining a race against upstream to fully support software such as evernote, dropbox and, of course, Whatsapp.

What I mean is, I am so very happy that you and lots like you and me are still using N900, and I am so very happy that Scorpius has been actively coding Yappari just until a few days, just in time for me to catch up and add a bit of functionality I missed and keep you all updated.

So, having said all that, I don't believe I deserve any tip for the little work I've done, for I am in much debt with all of you. If you feel like you want to reward someone for the availability of Yappari, donate to Scorpius, Cepiperez, Coderus and to the maemo.org community to keep running its servers.

That would make me more happy than having a few beers on any of you. Just keep making this site what it is and make it last for as long as possible.

Best wishes to you too :)

ceene 2015-01-16 08:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4br0s0 (Post 1456810)
The blue check is more like purple, i mean is very dark blue

You're right, it's quite a bit dark. For the next release I'll lighten it a bit, with the default black background it's difficult to see.

ceene 2015-01-16 08:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frasier (Post 1456842)
Is it possible to put a link in the update notice where the new version can be downloaded? I cant find it in App Manager.

Done! When it is finally promoted, it'll be available at extras-testing, then testers will have to vote it to be promoted to extras, but for now you can download it from the links above.

Regards

Sohil876 2015-01-16 10:06

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceene (Post 1456854)
You're right, it's quite a bit dark. For the next release I'll lighten it a bit, with the default black background it's difficult to see.

That will be great, also how about only changing one tick to blue instead of both? i mean left one will be green and right one blue.

ceene 2015-01-16 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sohil876 (Post 1456860)
That will be great, also how about only changing one tick to blue instead of both? i mean left one will be green and right one blue.

I'd absolutely do that if Yappari was not trying to follow Whatsapp, but I'd rather not confuse people with different symbology between the official client and ours... but I do like the idea, nonetheless.

Maybe it's time to think about skins, so everyone can choose their own icons?

baboo 2015-01-16 10:37

I am not using yappari anymore, but fixing the 'always online' thing which scorpius refused to implement before,would be appreciated .

ceene 2015-01-16 10:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by baboo (Post 1456867)
I am not using yappari anymore, but fixing the 'always online' thing which scorpius refused to implement before,would be appreciated .

I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about that, I must have missed some posts on the old thread. Could you explain it?

Thank you!

coderus 2015-01-16 10:50

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceene (Post 1456869)
I'm sorry, but I don't know anything about that, I must have missed some posts on the old thread. Could you explain it?

Thank you!

Yappari always sending available presence. Need an option to choose between available and unavailbale.

insanelysexy 2015-01-16 11:12

@ceene @coderus :

hey, please tell me what do i need to recompile yappari?? i already have scratchbox. is that enough ??

ceene 2015-01-16 11:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by coderus (Post 1456870)
Yappari always sending available presence. Need an option to choose between available and unavailbale.

Oh, that's indeed useful, and I believe Whatsapp does that as well.

I can't promise anything because I don't know the reasons Scorpius had not to do it and maybe it's hard to implement, but I'm creating an issue right now at github and if it's possible I'll definitely try to make it happen.

ceene 2015-01-16 11:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by insanelysexy (Post 1456873)
@ceene @coderus :

hey, please tell me what do i need to recompile yappari?? i already have scratchbox. is that enough ??

Yes, you only need scratchbox, yappari's source code and its dependencies (and build dependencies). You can download them with apt-get build-dep yappari if your sources.list is properly configured, or can look at debian/control and see there build-depends parameter.

ekze 2015-01-16 11:43

Thanks for keeping this project alive!

From the old thread:
Quote:

Originally Posted by ekze (Post 1456303)
Is there a way to sync images with the server in Yappari?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceene (Post 1456313)
What do you mean by that, ekze? I don't have any Android at hand so I don't know if that's some feature of the official client.

I'm not sure about official Android client, but on Whatsup (Harmattan) there is a feature Sync Images right beside Sync Contacts. Using that we can keep pictures of all users in contact list up to date, I think the only way to update a user picture is to manually click on a user and then click on picture and Yappari will request it from the sever.

ceene 2015-01-16 11:54

Quote:

Originally Posted by ekze (Post 1456877)
Thanks for keeping this project alive!
I'm not sure about official Android client, but on Whatsup (Harmattan) there is a feature Sync Images right beside Sync Contacts. Using that we can keep pictures of all users in contact list up to date, I think the only way to update a user picture is to manually click on a user and then click on picture and Yappari will request it from the sever.

So, you mean that Yappari right now isn't updating the pictures of the users when they change them? I'll have to look at it, I'm creating an issue right now so I don't forget about it.

Thank you!

enne30 2015-01-16 13:35

Hi ceene, I'm glad to see Yappary development is being continued! Thank you very much! :)

I see you want to add new features, so I'd like to propose again a suggestion from old Yappary thread:

Sometimes I use FrontView and I wonder if would be feasible to implement image uploading in Yappary just like the way FrontView does it.. really smart way, imho

Thanks again! :)

ceene 2015-01-16 13:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by enne30 (Post 1456888)
Sometimes I use FrontView and I wonder if would be feasible to implement image uploading in Yappary just like the way FrontView does it.. really smart way, imho

Thanks again! :)

You're wellcome :)

I haven't used FrontView, so I don't know how it works. Could you elaborate a little bit? Thank you!

s4br0s0 2015-01-16 13:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceene (Post 1456880)
So, you mean that Yappari right now isn't updating the pictures of the users when they change them? I'll have to look at it, I'm creating an issue right now so I don't forget about it.

Thank you!

It does change them, at leats for me and don't need to sync contacts, it does automatically.

Greetings.

enne30 2015-01-16 14:26

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ceene (Post 1456890)
You're wellcome :)

I haven't used FrontView, so I don't know how it works. Could you elaborate a little bit? Thank you!

I'll try to explain process at my best:
  • a.jpg: Selecting icon on start screen (1) ...
  • b.jpg: ... opens up gallery where you can pick up a photo quickly (2) or shoot a new photo (3) ...
  • c.jpg: ... opening default camera to shoot photo ...
  • d.jpg: ... and thus having possibility to select new photo in previous gallery (4) ...
  • e.jpg: ... finally selecting desired photo.

I hope description is clear enough to understand :o

davisrases 2015-01-16 15:41

Wow! All of a sudden Yappari thread has become very active. Thank you very much Ceene! Do you think you could implement chat bubbles as Scorpius always wanted Yappari to follow Maemo's messaging UI?

s4br0s0 2015-01-16 16:04

Quote:

Originally Posted by davisrases (Post 1456909)
Wow! All of a sudden Yappari thread has become very active. Thank you very much Ceene! Do you think you could implement chat bubbles as Scorpius always wanted Yappari to follow Maemo's messaging UI?

Please don't, or let the option to choose wich one.

Why no? Beacuse of space and the scroll.

Bubbles takes more space in the conversation and with the problem with the scroll (not sure if this is fixable) will be a nightmare (most probably).

Bubbles works better in potrait that in landscape (wich we don't know if will be or worth to implement), if the scroll problem is not the same in potrait of course.

People want stuff that Scorpius wasn't implement (for his reasons), not all are "good".

Anyway, really don't get the point of the blue checks, beacuse just makes sure that the person opens the conversation, but could saw your message without open the conversation.

Not complain to get the blue checks (don't get me wrong).

Why change the Maemo look to look like Android or Iphone?

Is good to get new features but have to be careful with wich ones are really necessary and wich ones are pointless.

Maybe not worth invest time in some stuff.

@enne30 That works just for new pictures taken, not a bad idea for those who takes a lot of pictures and want to share "fast".

Greetings.

ceene 2015-01-18 18:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by enne30 (Post 1456898)
I hope description is clear enough to understand :o

I see now what you mean. Some quick way of taking a photo right in the moment. I like it, so I've created a github issue so I don't forget about it and will think of a simple way to do it. Thank your for the suggestion!

ceene 2015-01-18 19:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by davisrases (Post 1456909)

Hi!

I'm sorry but this is something I won't be implementing. There isn't only one reason, and even though s4br0s0 has articulated most of them, there's an even more important reason for me not implemeting bubbles: I wouldn't even know where to start.

I'm not really a QT coder, nor in fact an UI coder at all, so I would have to spend lots of time just to draw a simple bubble, I don't want to think about all the time I'd spend on this while there are other features I care more about.

Nonetheless, if anyone is able to write such a GUI and make it so its optional, I will be merging those changes into mainstream without a doubt, but I won't be doing it myself.

Sorry about that.

Boemien 2015-01-19 00:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceene (Post 1457124)
I see now what you mean. Some quick way of taking a photo right in the moment. I like it, so I've created a github issue so I don't forget about it and will think of a simple way to do it. Thank your for the suggestion!

Yeah that is a issue a noticed. It would be great to take photo easily as taking audio note. By the way thumb up for working on this project. :D

nokiabot 2015-01-19 03:23

Cool ! New yappari features new mantinership
Btw will the protocol be updated to wa 1.4x as that would be better for yappari's health in the long run.
Cheers !

davisrases 2015-01-19 03:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by ceene (Post 1457126)
Hi!

I'm sorry but this is something I won't be implementing. There isn't only one reason, and even though s4br0s0 has articulated most of them, there's an even more important reason for me not implemeting bubbles: I wouldn't even know where to start.

I'm not really a QT coder, nor in fact an UI coder at all, so I would have to spend lots of time just to draw a simple bubble, I don't want to think about all the time I'd spend on this while there are other features I care more about.

Nonetheless, if anyone is able to write such a GUI and make it so its optional, I will be merging those changes into mainstream without a doubt, but I won't be doing it myself.

Sorry about that.

Please, you don't have to apologise! It was just a suggestion and implementing it is upto you, the developer. I am not complaining about the UI and the idea of giving an option suits me!

WeASeL... 2015-01-21 02:34

So Whatsapp has been temporarily banning phone numbers registered to the Whatsapp + software. Will Yappari users be facing similar circumstances? The temporary ban lasts for 24 hours and I assume the ban will be permanent after further concurrent use.

ceene 2015-01-21 09:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by WeASeL... (Post 1457441)
So Whatsapp has been temporarily banning phone numbers registered to the Whatsapp + software. Will Yappari users be facing similar circumstances? The temporary ban lasts for 24 hours and I assume the ban will be permanent after further concurrent use.

Hi

I really don't know... I don't know what is Whatsapp+ doing that lets WA detect it as non official, nor do I know if Yappari is doing something that WA can detect, so...

In the end, we all have to know that sooner or later it will happen, either because they detect Yappari as an unofficial client or because they move on with the protocol, at which point I will more than likely not be able to go along with the change.

Sorry.

ceene 2015-01-21 13:30

There's a new release :)

Changelog is at first post of this thread. Here are the closed issues for this release.

s4br0s0 2015-01-21 13:55

Pretty cool the new feature.

Try picture good, try video (play) good, try audio (play) crash.

Didnīt send any of them.

Open Yappari again, try audio (play) good.

Must be a ramdon crash.

Greetings.

Why on this update you canīt send an image without caption?

On .52 you can.

ceene 2015-01-21 15:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by nokiabot (Post 1457186)
Cool ! New yappari features new mantinership
Btw will the protocol be updated to wa 1.4x as that would be better for yappari's health in the long run.
Cheers !

Hi!

I don't believe I'll be able to migrate protocols... at least not for now.

I'd be very very grateful if any of you is able to provide me with any kind of documentation on the new protocol.

Regards

ceene 2015-01-21 15:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4br0s0 (Post 1457495)
Must be a ramdon crash.

Let's hope, I can't see any reason why there should be a crash at all...

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4br0s0 (Post 1457495)
Why on this update you canīt send an image without caption?

On .52 you can.

Uhm... I thought I had tested it all. Give me a little time and I'll research what's happening.

EDIT: I believe 'Done' button isn't working. May that be?

s4br0s0 2015-01-21 15:09

Well send multimedia is broken.

Canīt send any.

Image ask for confirm and caption, doesnīt matter if you caption or not, doesnīt send it when you click done, same happen with audio and video.

Greetings.

ceene 2015-01-21 15:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by s4br0s0 (Post 1457505)
Well send multimedia is broken.

Canīt send any.

Image ask for confirm and caption, doesnīt matter if you caption or not, doesnīt send it when you click done, same happen with audio and video.

Greetings.

Thank you! I don't know why nor when, but I lost the signal-slot association of the new dialogs so the "Done" button wasn't really doing anything at all...

Sorry for the inconvenience. I'm building new package and uploading it, I'll upload it also to some other place so you don't have to wait for the autobuilder.

EDIT: You can download it now from http://we.tl/LwRTxE6DV9. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for the testing!

I was also too fast promoting the package to -testing.
From now on, I'll wait at least 24 hours between -devel and promoting to -testing, this could have been avoided if I had used Yappari for a few hours instead.