maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Nokia N900 (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Thinking of getting back to N900. Few questions. (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94307)

mivoligo 2014-12-13 17:23

Thinking of getting back to N900. Few questions.

Hi guys!

After couple years of using Samsung Galaxy S3 I'm thinking of undusting my old N900 and getting back to using it. I believe it needs new battery though.

I have a few questions about current apps availability. Specifically I'm thinking about:
1. google+
2. twitter
3. podcast catcher
4. ebook reader
5. mail client
6. passwords keeper

Thanks for suggestions. :)

Tigerroast 2014-12-13 18:03

Re: Thinking of getting back to N900. Few questions.

For email, you can use the built-in client or Claws. For podcasts, you can use gPodder. I'm pretty sure there's a password manager on the N900, but I have no idea what it's called. Same for ebook reader (although I'm not sure why anyone would want to read a book on an N900 or GS3 for that matter).

As for Google+ and Twitter clients, I have no clue if there's Maemo clients for them. If there are, then I'm pretty sure they're either old or broken. Perhaps someone else can point you in the direction of those.

n900user259 2014-12-13 18:18

There's an app called password safe. I don't use any of the anti-social networks so don't know about twitter or google+ apps. For ebooks there's apps like Dorian, E-Books and FBReader.

pichlo 2014-12-13 18:48

+1M for Modest (the built-in email client). By far the best mobile email client ever.
There are about three ebook readers in the repos; the one I settled on is FBReader.
I do not use any of the rest so cannot advice there.

pistachio 2014-12-13 20:01

There's a keepassX port for N900, so much work needed on the UI, though still usable.

kureyon 2014-12-15 11:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by pichlo (Post 1452065)
+1M for Modest (the built-in email client). By far the best mobile email client ever.

I have to disagree with you here, K9 Mail for android is far better, some of the useful stuff it does that Modest doesn't: multiple identities, threaded view.

podcasts: gPodder
ebook reader: FBReader

sixwheeledbeast 2014-12-15 11:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by pistachio (Post 1452074)
There's a keepassX port for N900, so much work needed on the UI, though still usable.

This is the one thing I miss at the moment a usable keepass application.
The random .deb on TMO doesn't open version 1 files and the version in the repo is unusable

mivoligo 2014-12-15 11:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by kureyon (Post 1452247)
I have to disagree with you here, K9 Mail for android is far better, some of the useful stuff it does that Modest doesn't: multiple identities, threaded view.

Yes, K9 is great but the Modest is good enough for me.

mivoligo 2014-12-15 11:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast (Post 1452248)
The random .deb on TMO doesn't open version 1 files and the version in the repo is unusable

I've installed the version from repo. The UI is really bad. Good thing though, keyboard shortcuts works fine there.

pistachio 2014-12-15 13:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast (Post 1452248)

Yes thats why i stopped using it, instead we have another option. You can import the xml file from keepass and can load it to meepassword app manually.