maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] rotatedaemon: fast rotation for applications to portrait mode and all other screen directions (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=56562)

w00t 2010-06-18 20:32

[Announce] rotatedaemon: fast rotation for applications to portrait mode and all other screen directions

1 Attachment(s)
This application, simply put, allows you to have your applications rotate depending on how you hold your phone.

Not much more I can say there really. :)

Known issues (that I can fix): rotating some applications, especially those that rotate themselves can cause your phone to reboot. You have been warned.

Known issues that I can't fix: A lot of applications look really, really ugly in portrait/reverse-portrait mode. If they are from extras, file bugs, and hopefully the authors can fix them.

Future features include blacklisting certain applications to certain directions or to not try rotate them at all (e.g. browser, which has its own rotation), and anything else that people can come up with.

Original inspiration for this should be credited to rotate.py (original author unknown) - I'm just trying to take this a bit further.

Now available in extras-devel 'Desktop' category as 'rotatedaemon'.

If you're interested in contributing, please see http://github.com/rburchell/rotatedaemon - and feel free to contact me.

Laughing Man 2010-06-18 20:41

Re: [Announce] rotatedaemon: fast rotation for applications to portrait mode and all other screen directions

Haha, it reminds me of what my best friend showed me on his Droid, he could rotate his phone in any direction and the desktop would rotate it (even if it made no sense like the phone was upside down so the keyboard would slide up).

qwerty12 2010-06-18 20:42

Re: [Announce] rotatedaemon: fast rotation for applications to portrait mode and all other screen directions

Request: When you've implemented your other features, add an option to make it use the "Maemo way" of rotation: Setting the _HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_REQUEST and _HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_SUPPORT properties on the window. With the XRandR stuff, some apps won't realise they're running rotated (HildonAppMenus are a good example of this).

Anyway, thanks; I wrote a Vala version of the rotate.py script that got nowhere :)

w00t 2010-06-18 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwerty12 (Post 720964)
Request: When you've implemented your other features, add an option to make it use the "Maemo way" of rotation: Setting the _HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_REQUEST and _HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_SUPPORT properties on the window. With the XRandR stuff, some apps won't realise they're running rotated (HildonAppMenus are a good example of this).

Anyway, thanks; I wrote a Vala version of the rotate.py script that got nowhere :)

Could do, although, _HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_* don't quite cut it for portrait/reverse-portrait.. though I could try some black magic to get that happening.

I'd also probably make it optional, purely because I much prefer this to the slow transition of the regular swap. :)

Mind filing an issue on Github for me so I don't forget?

w00t 2010-06-18 20:45

(Also, qwerty12, can you get on IRC, or enable PMs, or give me some other way to contact you please? Need a brief chat.)

fw190 2010-06-18 20:45

Doesn't work for me. maybe it is because I have some other apps which don't like your deamon :) I made a reboot and din't help.

w00t 2010-06-18 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw190 (Post 720969)
Doesn't work for me. maybe it is because I have some other apps which don't like your deamon :) I made a reboot and din't help.

Make sure you have version 0.1-4. All others won't work properly.

qwerty12 2010-06-18 20:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by w00t (Post 720966)
Could do, although, _HILDON_PORTRAIT_MODE_* don't quite cut it for portrait/reverse-portrait.. though I could try some black magic to get that happening.

I'd also probably make it optional, purely because I much prefer this to the slow transition of the regular swap. :)

Mind filing an issue on Github for me so I don't forget?

Sure... which is why I suggest it as an option. :)

Will get to filing... don't think I have a GitHub account, though.

I don't do IRC, nor PMs, but please feel free to email me: trippin1 üt gmail.com

ironm8 2010-06-18 20:57

I just installed it, it seems to work, however i cant find it very useful.
hildon-home widgets and all the other stuff go out of boundries and cant be reached, also the lower half of the screen is also not useable.
some other apps rotate and it is abit ugly , however it seems stable :)
is there any good uses you've found for this?

w00t 2010-06-18 21:00

Quote:

Originally Posted by ironm8 (Post 720986)
I just installed it, it seems to work, however i cant find it very useful.
hildon-home widgets and all the other stuff go out of boundries and cant be reached, also the lower half of the screen is also not useable.
some other apps rotate and it is abit ugly , however it seems stable :)
is there any good uses you've found for this?

To be honest, there aren't many, because a *lot* of applications really don't cope well with the layout. Then again, they *won't* unless it's an easy option. Catch 22.

I do plan on addressing behaviour wrt the homescreen by optionally blacklisting apps that become totally unusable (like that) to landscape only in the future.

My main use for it is to tilt my phone towards someone else so they see it in reverse landscape instead of landscape. I also like that it's a lot faster than the regular transitions.