maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   OS2008 / Maemo 4 / Chinook - Diablo (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   VOIP Roundup? (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=24334)

nola mike 2008-10-15 18:11

VOIP Roundup?

trying to figure out my voip options with the n800, and am a bit confused. i'm looking for something that has/is:
1. free
2. can call landline or computer, and get incoming from either.
3. use video
4. pref open source

i realize i won't get all of the above, but am not sure of the difference between clients/services. i'm curious about gizmo, which i thought was free-after a couple of calls, my acct now has a balance, although they have no way to bill me...

omegaone37 2008-10-15 18:56

Re: VOIP Roundup?

Gizmo5 will get you voice and vid to and from other puters... and to landlines for a fee.

Regards...

Omega

baksiidaa 2008-10-15 22:09

Gizmo + Google GrandCentral

dick-richardson 2008-10-15 22:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by baksiidaa (Post 233897)
Gizmo + Google GrandCentral

that's the best solution

nola mike 2008-10-15 22:31

yeah, i stumbled on this about 30 minutes ago. looks like a good solution for incoming calls.
although is there a way to have gizmo pick up the calls without keeping the client open (a la the built in internet talk client)?

xxM5xx 2008-10-16 00:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by nola mike (Post 233905)
yeah, i stumbled on this about 30 minutes ago. looks like a good solution for incoming calls.
although is there a way to have gizmo pick up the calls without keeping the client open (a la the built in internet talk client)?

Yes, the N800's internal SIP client can be used with Gizmo instead of the Gizmo application.

M5

dick-richardson 2008-10-16 01:03

and you can use grand central to place outbound calls that are 1st routed to your sip client and then connected to whomever you're trying to call

dialcentral is a great app to make that process transparent

nola mike 2008-10-16 01:16

cool. got it working now. in case anyone's interested, the settings used were:
type: sip
username: mygizmonumber@proxy01.sipphone.com
password: mygizmopw
i didn't need to do anything with the authentication tab--left both blank.

i'm not sure if video works or not, since i was calling from my cell phone. also not sure what the advantage of the gizmo client is--just seems slower with a more cluttered interface. pretty sweet, thanks all for the help. getting greedy now, but any workarounds to call a landline for free?

Thesandlord 2008-10-16 01:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by nola mike (Post 233926)
getting greedy now, but any workarounds to call a landline for free?

Uhhh, look like a few posts above your own.

Grand Central + Gizmo = free calls.

bluesubaru 2008-10-16 01:57

Best video calls = voipbuster account, built-in N800 client, and windows X-Lite.