maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   OS2008 / Maemo 4 / Chinook - Diablo (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Suggestions for the next OS release (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=16786)

rdcinhou 2008-02-17 22:05

Suggestions for the next OS release

Some suggestion for improvement in the next release of the OS:

1. In File Manager--require a double-tap to open files. At present a single-tap opens them. This makes file management a pain in that you can't simply select a file for moving, copying or deletion--the file often opens and you have to wait and close the opened application in order to get back to the file manager.

2. Add some sort of standard identifying information to the start-up AND the unlock screen. Since these devices all look alike, if someone picks up your machine and it is locked, how are they going to know how to return it to you?

3. On system boot, have at least an hour-glass or something to let you know that the OS is still busy and you need to wait before trying any commands. It is bothersome to try and select something and the command closes prematurely. A little "Please wait..." or "Processing..." would be nice.

4. OS command confirmations (after tapping on OK buttons and the like) should have an immediate visual confirmation that something is being done. Many OS operations have significant delays and some even leave a white area where the dialog window was. Surely not the way a ready-for-public-consumption IT appliance shoud behave.

5. Add a REFRESH function to file manager...changes to remote shared directories are not seen until you close and reopen file manager.

Everyone please add your own OS improvement suggestions:

instigator 2008-02-17 22:13

Re: Suggestions for the next OS release

Bluetooth A2DP stereo headphone profile is number one on my list.

cyberbillp 2008-02-18 15:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by instigator (Post 143797)
Bluetooth A2DP stereo headphone profile is number one on my list.

Ditto.

Followed by accelerated graphic drivers, any type of mouse, and if I can dream, OpenGL.

munky261 2008-02-18 17:47

i want A2DP as well as AVRCP bt profiles to be supported

amigokin 2008-02-18 17:51

Quote:

Originally Posted by rdcinhou (Post 143792)
Some suggestion for improvement in the next release of the OS:

1. In File Manager--require a double-tap to open files. At present a single-tap opens them. This makes file management a pain in that you can't simply select a file for moving, copying or deletion--the file often opens and you have to wait and close the opened application in order to get back to the file manager.

Oh, Lord! Please!

jackass124 2008-02-18 18:08

more video codecs supported, A2DP, better flash support, replace current Email client with something that works well like Modest or something...

rscasas 2008-02-18 18:17

I think directional keys in the virtual keyboard can be very useful in many cases

barqer 2008-02-18 18:20

Bluetooth PAN support would be great

Benson 2008-02-18 19:49

Quote:

Originally Posted by rscasas (Post 144196)
I think directional keys in the virtual keyboard can be very useful in many cases

Why? you already have the d-pad.

Though it could be helpful if the d-pad sent different keycodes than the arrow keys on a BT keyboard, and in that case the virtual keyboard could send the standard keycodes. Then the d-pad could be used for, e.g., scrolling.

bready 2008-02-18 19:53

Open authentication for WEP encryption would be great.. One of the big reasons why I bought the IT was to use it at work and I can't because the N800 does not support it!

BReady