maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Request to Nokia, give us back our tablets! (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=72422)

penguinbait 2011-04-22 15:15

Request to Nokia, give us back our tablets!

I am asking Nokia, to build us a tablet again. I have a phone, I tether to it, and its cheap. I want a 810 replacement, with similar form, but faster cpu, more ram.

Go make your MS phones, give me back my Nokia tablet!

Please? Seriously?

kojacker 2011-04-22 15:38

Re: Request to Nokia, give us back our tablets!

It's a nice thought but if they were to start producing tablets again what would the OS be?

Symbian wouldnt work on tablets, MicroSoft don't have a tablet OS ready for Nokia to borrow. We know about Nokia and Maemo/MeeGo, that's possible but unlikely. Also they wouldnt choose WebOS or Android/Chrome, and wouldnt be offered iOS by Apple.

geneven 2011-04-22 16:13

I think that Nokia is too busy running its business into the ground to worry about us.

jd4200 2011-04-22 16:16

I'd vote in favour of completley open sourcing maemo, instead; can't see why they are refusing to now that have moved on.

buurmas 2011-04-22 16:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by penguinbait (Post 993728)
I am asking Nokia, to build us a tablet again. I have a phone, I tether to it, and its cheap. I want a 810 replacement, with similar form, but faster cpu, more ram.

I'm with you -- I have no desire for a smartphone b/c I have no desire to pay a large monthly fee. But we seem to be in the minority. If Nokia's next MeeGo device is a tablet, I'm guessing that it will be ten inches, not pocket-sized.

penguinbait 2011-04-22 17:41

Did they lose money on the 770/800/810?

Who cares what OS it runs, if they were smart, they would make it easy to run Debian/Ubuntu/Fedora and join the party.

If you build it, they will come :D

tissot 2011-04-22 18:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd4200 (Post 993756)
I'd vote in favour of completley open sourcing maemo, instead; can't see why they are refusing to now that have moved on.

They have probably sinked ludicrous amounts of money to Maemo and Harmattan/MeeGo. Trollech/Qt that's a solid piece of it all costed them alone 220 million euros and that's probably a drop in the water they have spent to this whole Qt rounded projects as a whole.

They are still a company.

As for a tablet i have been lusting a Nokia designed tablet running MeeGo for a long time. Would have had great to see Nokia's take on these larger than 7" tablets. It's certain that Nokia will still have a tablet, but i'm totally lost on what OS that could be and when(4 months or 5 years).
Android did not get much of help from the phone side and they got ~40 apps for a 3.0. It would not sound totally out of this world still to have MeeGo tablet along with WP phones from Nokia.

But who knows. I have already pre-ordered Asus Eee pad transformer.

chase15 2011-04-22 18:47

just give us a high-end hardware maemo phone... im still with maemo.. loving it until now...

geojoking 2011-04-22 18:49

It's pretty straight-forward to assume Nokia's tablets will run Windows 8. Microsoft is pretty busy these days developing Win 8 with full tablet support. And in light of the Nokia-Microsoft partnership, I assume a Windows-powered Nokia tablet is on the horizon.

m4r0v3r 2011-04-22 18:54

am waiting on kubuntu mobile to take off