maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   General (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Camera phone competition February 2015:"Black and white" (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94541)

Half-Life_4_Life 2015-02-01 13:09

Camera phone competition February 2015:"Black and white"

February is finally here and along with it a new theme for the camera phone competition. And I've won again, I wouldn't have thought it could happen again. :)

For this month I've chosen black and white, I didn't want to come up with a theme that was too hard to do because for instance people in Australia don't have snow right now if you know what I mean. I wanted to do a theme that everyone could do but it could be really creative as well and not boring. So black and white it is. B&W allows for some nice shadows or gradients, it's great for capturing the light and the emotions as it is, no distracting colours in the background. As one photographer put it: B&W captures people's feelings, colour captures their clothes.

Here are a few links and ideas.
Oh and the photos in the first link are mine. :)
Photos, tips1, tips2, examples, examples.

The rules:

Photos must be taken during this month
Photos must be taken by the posting member
Photos must be taken with a camera phone
Users post only one photo per entry
Users can change the entry only once
Users must name the phone they used
(so I could include it for voting and such)
Last three days of this month are for voting

Last month's competition.

chenliangchen 2015-02-01 16:10

Re: Camera phone competition February 2015:"Black and white"

Congratulations on winning!

For B&W for most phones does that require post editing? I can't remember if N900 or N9 can take black and white pictures by the default camera app without post modification?

Copernicus 2015-02-01 16:19

Yeah, I've got a black & white option on my Android's camera, but I can't find anything like that on my N900 (running the standard camera app). I think you'd have to do post-processing to achieve that...

chenliangchen 2015-02-01 17:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copernicus (Post 1459205)
Yeah, I've got a black & white option on my Android's camera, but I can't find anything like that on my N900 (running the standard camera app). I think you'd have to do post-processing to achieve that...

I was concerning the same - I can take B&W photos easily by default camera on my DMC-CM1 but I don't think it's that easy on N900 or N9, which are still the main devices we use to compete here.

saponga 2015-02-01 17:20

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1459215)
I was concerning the same - I can take B&W photos easily by default camera on my DMC-CM1 but I don't think it's that easy on N900 or N9, which are still the main devices we use to compete here.

We have grayscale in CSSU camera-ui. ;)

Half-Life_4_Life 2015-02-01 18:09

If you aren't able to shoot B&W in-camera just grayscale it afterwards but please, don't change the contrast or brightness, don't create a mess at least.

robthebold 2015-02-01 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by chenliangchen (Post 1459204)
Congratulations on winning!

For B&W for most phones does that require post editing? I can't remember if N900 or N9 can take black and white pictures by the default camera app without post modification?

I'd never checked before, but N9 stock camera and camera+ both have b&w filter. Also gallery editor has a black and white effect.

In addition, the contest is 'Black and white' but doesn't explicitly specify it must be a greyscale image. Perhaps it's a panda . . . Or a black cat in a snowstorm . . .

Wikiwide 2015-02-01 23:01

Does it have to be black-grey-white, or would it be acceptable to have part of it black-grey-white, and another part of it full-colour?

Thank you. Best wishes.

Half-Life_4_Life 2015-02-02 20:37

Oh, I'm sorry I've made a confusion. It's only greyscale.
See, I'm not good at giving tasks or themes. :)
I've shot some photos today while I was walking my dog up on the hill close to my house and street.
The sun was setting and it gave nice long shadows and opportunities, which I grabbed.
Here is the album on Flickr. Because I don't want to spam this thread. I couldn't decide with which photo to enter the competition so I maybe make up my mind soon or just shoot better ones.

chenliangchen 2015-02-02 22:18

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my entry for this month. Will be busy in coming weeks so I decide to submit an entry first. (At least I can amend once.)

This is the Round Church in Cambridge, one of the oldest buildings in town. Monochrome gives a feeling of time travelling, to the past. Taken with Panasonic CM1 today (2nd Feb).

Original picture in high res.