maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Maemo 5 / Fremantle (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Maemo GeoLocation 1.1.3 no longer working (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=41537)

YoDude 2010-01-20 13:42

Maemo GeoLocation 1.1.3 no longer working

After a recent cold reflash, Maemo GeoLocation no longer seems to work. I get "Your current location is unavailable" when I try to access it from pages like >> http://maps.google.com/maps/m

It had worked previously when I upgraded to PR 1.1 OTA. Now after the complete reflash, it's a no go. Are their other settings I may be forgetting?

Also: When I go to MicroB > Options > Add-ons > Extensions and choose either Maemo GeoLocation or Single sign on for Ovi by Nokia, then choose "Find Updates", they both report "An Error occurred while trying to find updates".

If I go to App Manager and uninstall Maemo GeoLocation when I go back to MicroB > Options > Add-ons > Extensions , Maemo GeoLocation is still there :eek:

...even after a re-boot.

hwong_pz 2010-01-20 18:35

Re: Maemo GeoLocation 1.1.3 no longer working

I have exactly the same problem as you do. Maemo Geolocation and Google Near Me was working fine on PR1.1 before I reflash my device. It does not seems to "talks" to the GPS anymore after reflashing.

colnago 2010-01-20 18:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by YoDude (Post 484195)
After a recent cold reflash, Maemo GeoLocation no longer seems to work. I get "Your current location is unavailable" when I try to access it from pages like >> http://maps.google.com/maps/m

Do you have the ? at the end of that URL? Makes a difference on some links

It should be: maps.google.com/maps/m?

My link still finds me...usually in less than 5 seconds.

filbert 2010-01-20 19:29

I have installed it via the browser and app manager but it doesn't show upo in the add-ons section of MicroB - am I missing something?
Rgrds

Peter

lemmyslender 2010-01-20 19:35

Just tested here. Didn't work at all with maps.google.com/maps/m or /m? Also didn't work with maeMaps bookmark.

Uninstalled and re-installed, still didn't work.

Fired up the location widget, got a lock, both sites worked, prompted me to share my location. Powered down the location widget, GPS icon gone from status bar. Both sites will now power up the GPS and get a lock.

Google maps didn't work until I tried maeMaps. It prompted me to share location. Trying google again, got me a prompt and they work fine now.

Might be worth a shot using the location widget and maeMaps

colnago 2010-01-20 19:38

Quote:

Originally Posted by filbert (Post 484890)
I have installed it via the browser and app manager but it doesn't show upo in the add-ons section of MicroB - am I missing something?
Rgrds

Peter

From what I understand, a re-boot may be required, following installation of maemo-geolocation.

ndi 2010-01-20 19:40

1 Attachment(s)
Mine works, but I had to cycle the browser a couple of times, didn't work the first time.

Something is odd indeed, searching for updates shows OVI single login but clicking on the update seems to fail saying it can't update .../flashblock/whatever.xpi

Added and attachment.

YoDude 2010-01-21 00:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by ndi (Post 484916)
Mine works, but I had to cycle the browser a couple of times, didn't work the first time.

Something is odd indeed, searching for updates shows OVI single login but clicking on the update seems to fail saying it can't update .../flashblock/whatever.xpi

Added and attachment.

That's^ when it stopped working for me...

I clicked on an update for Ovi single sign on for someone in another thread and got the same message. Shortly after GeoLocation wouldn't work.

Flashing didn't help, even flashing and just adding Geolocation only. What eventually worked was restoring a backup that I fortunately saved before any of the Firmware updates were installed.
Bingo, it works again!

This tells me it might be something that is stored on the eMMC. That shouldn't change with a standard flash but does get overwritten when restoring a backup I believe.

It's pro'ly something in /home/user/mozilla/extensions/ that gets FUBAR'ed when an extension update is attempted. :eek:

In any event, it is a hell of a bug and it should be recorded.

I still have hella work to do and I suppose I'll get to Bugzilla eventually (heavy sigh) :p
It wont hurt my feelings any if someone gets there before me... Just remember before you try this at home kids; make sure an adult is present and you perform a full backup first. :D

asidana 2010-01-23 20:17

same error but with ovi signin addon

mlb 2010-01-31 14:50

same problem here, geolocation not working with maemo 2.2009.51-1

Should it be visible as browser plugin or addon? If so, it is not there. I reinstalled three times, rebooted - cannot get this great addon working...