maemo.org - Talk

maemo.org - Talk (https://talk.maemo.org/index.php)
-   Applications (https://talk.maemo.org/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   [Announce] Pierogi - a universal infrared remote control app (https://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82243)

Copernicus 2012-02-10 19:38

[Announce] Pierogi - a universal infrared remote control app

Allow me to introduce Pierogi, a universal infrared remote control app for the N900. I've been frustrated with the existing IR options, and since I've been wanting to try my hand at writing an app, I decided to go ahead and write my own.

The main features of this app are:
  • A self-contained database of IR codes for a variety of popular devices, based mainly on the LIRC remote control database
  • Independence from the LIRC server -- no need to keep the server running (or even installed) to use Pierogi, unlike other remote control software
  • An intuitive, easy-to-use interface (at least in my opinion)
  • The ability to remember your favorite remote control keysets

Here's a screenshot of the main tab:

https://raw.githubusercontent.com/jp...ierogi2014.png

More information can be found on the Pierogi website and in the Pierogi Wiki Page.

Pierogi version 1.0.0 is now available in the Extras repository! However, this is still a very young project, and not everything in it will work perfectly. Should you find any bugs, please file a bug report or post a note here.

Also, please note that Pierogi's keyset database, while growing, is still "incomplet and inkorrekt"; some buttons may not yet be supported correctly (or I may have them mapped wrong), and many brands don't yet have their keysets entered at all.

One more request: if it isn't too much of a bother, I would love to know which specific devices actually do work with Pierogi. The LIRC config files don't concern themselves with anything but remote control codes, so I don't myself know what models of device work with what keysets. Sixwheeledbeast has also created a wiki page to list working devices:

http://wiki.maemo.org/Pierogi_Device_Compatibility_List

Please go ahead and edit the wiki to add your device to the list.

Update 8/March/2012: Also, if you would like to see Pierogi add support for a particular device, please place it on the Request List!

Update 25/May/2013: Pierogi now has a Github account. Just go to https://github.com/jpietrzak8/Pierogi to view or download this app's source code. :)

Update 17/Apr/2014: Pierogi now has a new website associated with the forementioned Github account: http://jpietrzak8.github.io/Pierogi/

Update 10/Feb/2015: Finally, version Pierogi version 1.1 has been promoted up to Extras-Testing. If you feel it is ready for the Extras repository, please test it out and vote it up! (And if not, please tell me why! :) )

Brian_7 2012-02-10 19:54

Re: [Announce] Pierogi - a universal infrared remote control app

Hello, thank you for your great program. It works great on my samsung tv :)

Please can you add keysets for philco and admiral tvs?

Copernicus 2012-02-10 19:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_7 (Post 1163267)
Hello, thank you for you great program. Ir works great on my samsung tv :)

Please can you add keysets for philco and admiral tvs?

Great! And yes, let me put Philco and Admiral on the top of my list. :)

fw190 2012-02-10 20:13

thanks for this app. There are many TV sets in it but I have a Daewoo tv. Is there any chance for support of so crappy tv in the future?

Acidspunk 2012-02-10 20:17

Found this via My-maemo a few weeks ago. Works great! Thanks Copernicus.

ioncelmare 2012-02-10 20:18

i used your program for a wile. congratulations.
on my samsung seems to work nice.
also, the buttons arrangement is great.

Copernicus 2012-02-10 20:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by fw190 (Post 1163274)
thanks for this app. There are many TV sets in it but I have a Daewoo tv. Is there any chance for support of so crappy tv in the future?

The chances look good: the LIRC database appears to contain more than twenty Daewoo remotes. I'll give it a shot and see what I can come up with.

Sadly, I've only found one Philco and one Admiral remote so far. I'll add them to Pierogi, and see if I can find other keyset data elsewhere for those brands...

Acidspunk 2012-02-10 20:26

Well, since you're taking requests, is there a chance to get Grundig and Blaupunkt working as well?

datjomp 2012-02-10 20:28

I've tried this for a couple of weeks and it works quite well with
the tv's i've tested it on.
I think it would be great if Mute was in the mainscreen.
But that's just my opinion :)

Thanks

Edit:
Request
Panasonic TV TX-32LED7F, remote EUR7651110

szopin 2012-02-10 20:30

Would this work with laptop remotes?
Reason: http://osxdaily.com/2011/01/18/apple...he-mac-remote/ and the aiming part suggests IR, not BT, so design students with a bit awkward taste for phones might have a jolly good time

Copernicus 2012-02-10 20:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acidspunk (Post 1163280)
Well, since you're taking requests, is there a chance to get Grundig and Blaupunkt working as well?

Grundig looks good -- lots of support in the LIRC database. I'll put it on the list. Blaupunkt, though, may be a problem; there's only one config file, and just has raw codes. I may not be able to do much with that one...

BTW, you (and iconcelmare) have been using the extras-devel Pierogi for a few weeks? Wow, thank you for your interest, and for dealing with all the installation problems I was having! :)

Copernicus 2012-02-10 20:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by datjomp (Post 1163282)
I've tried this for a couple of weeks and it works quite well with
the tv's i've tested it on.

Great, good to hear!

Quote:

I think it would be great if Mute was in the mainscreen.
Ah, I originally planned to have it there as well (along with a few of my other favorite buttons). But, after playing around with the design for a while, I ended up trying to put the absolute bare minimum set of controls onto the main tab. Many of the buttons on the "utility" tab were originally going to be on the first page...

But if there's enough interest, I can certainly change some stuff around. :)

Quote:

Request
Panasonic TV TX-32LED7F, remote EUR7651110
I've got a pretty good set of Panasonic keysets in Pierogi right now, although I just recently revamped the IR protocol I'm using for Panasonic, so they may not work quite right. If none of the existing keysets are working for you, let me know...

ioncelmare 2012-02-10 21:01

yes, put mute on main screen. there is his place.

i like the design ideea, with categories.

Copernicus 2012-02-10 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by szopin (Post 1163283)
Would this work with laptop remotes?
Reason: http://osxdaily.com/2011/01/18/apple...he-mac-remote/ and the aiming part suggests IR, not BT, so design students with a bit awkward taste for phones might have a jolly good time

Yes, I've been using Pierogi extensively with my Mac Minis, and yes, I really need to add pairing support (if I can ever find the codes for it). Without pairing, two or more of the same device in the same room presents a challenge for IR control. :) I've got pairing support now for MCE remotes and I think for a few others, but I still have a lot more work to do on that front.

But yeah, most IR control systems are very simple, and break down quickly once you throw a little complexity at them. :) (And yes, I have had fun taking control of other people's Macs lately...)

Copernicus 2012-02-10 21:05

Quote:

Originally Posted by ioncelmare (Post 1163291)
yes, put mute on main screen. there is his place.

Alright, let me give it a shot, I'll see what I can come up with...

partthesea 2012-02-10 21:06

Wooo, finally I get to put my IR port to use. I've used every feature except for this one.

I was also disappointed with the previous IR offerings, but this is working great so far!! I'll have to test it more when I get home.

Acidspunk 2012-02-10 21:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copernicus (Post 1163288)
Grundig looks good -- lots of support in the LIRC database. I'll put it on the list. Blaupunkt, though, may be a problem; there's only one config file, and just has raw codes. I may not be able to do much with that one...

Nice! Thank you, Copernicus. :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copernicus (Post 1163288)
BTW, you (and iconcelmare) have been using the extras-devel Pierogi for a few weeks? Wow, thank you for your interest, and for dealing with all the installation problems I was having! :)

Wow, no need for thanks dude. Thank you for creating a great and highly useful app! I downloaded the first version,but it didn't have the codes for phillips tvs yet, which I need for my main tv. So I started using pierogi a few days later when it got an update that introduced phillips tvs. Worked like a charm, though!

And I honestly don't remember having any problems installing. Updates have also been installed without issues as far as I can recall.

Copernicus 2012-02-10 21:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acidspunk (Post 1163296)
And I honestly don't remember having any problems installing. Updates have also been installed without issues as far as I can recall.

Ah, very good then! There are some other folks who were not so lucky. :) I had an issue where a file was not being installed/uninstalled properly, which would cause Pierogi to start spitting out unreadable error messages... Thankfully, that should all be in the past now. :)

Copernicus 2012-02-10 21:24

BTW, on Admiral -- the config file I've got is using the Sharp IR protocol, and even seems to be using the same codes. (Maybe Admiral and Sharp devices are coming from the same source?) Anyway, you might try using some Sharp keysets to control Admiral TVs...

Tumleh 2012-02-10 21:55

Copernicus, I thank you very much for your nice and usefull app.

I have posted an article to Pierogi on opensmartpad.org

D@vIcHoJD 2012-02-10 22:08

Excellent application may add control for Daewoo please. Now I am trying it with a Samsung TV and it works.:D

louiegoat 2012-02-10 22:15

Thanks, just as someone else posted that this is the first time I use the infrared port on my N900. I just tried using Pierogi on my Toshiba Tv and it works. Also on my Element Tv and it works as well although I had to use the LG keyset for it. Some of the keys on both keysets have to be re-mapped because they control other functions but so far so good. It would be nice to have keysets for DirecTv satellite boxes (I have an older one with built-in TiVo) and maybe the Roku boxes as well. Anyhow thanks again and looking forward to testing it some more !

Copernicus 2012-02-10 22:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by D@vIcHoJD (Post 1163318)
may add control for Daewoo please.

Hey, I've just started digging into the Daewoo data, and a lot of their TVs seem to have the same controls as Philips TVs. You might try using a few of the Philips keysets and see if they work for you...

Copernicus 2012-02-10 22:44

Quote:

Originally Posted by louiegoat (Post 1163319)
Some of the keys on both keysets have to be re-mapped because they control other functions but so far so good.

If you don't mind, let me know which keys were mapped wrong, I'll see if I can fix them! :)

Quote:

It would be nice to have keysets for DirecTv satellite boxes (I have an older one with built-in TiVo) and maybe the Roku boxes as well.
I've been wanting to get DirecTv nailed down for a while now, but the LIRC data for them is surprisingly bad. Roku looks doable, though, I'll put them on the list...

hycraig 2012-02-10 23:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copernicus (Post 1163264)
If you'd like to see a device supported, please post a message below or send me a note!

Great app works perfect with my Samsung TV thanks
any chance of adding Logitech remotes for my surround sound system?
the model is Z5400
thanks again

Copernicus 2012-02-10 23:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by hycraig (Post 1163348)
any chance of adding Logitech remotes for my surround sound system?
the model is Z5400

Well, the LIRC database does have one Logitech config file that looks good, I'll add it to my list. :)

uros 2012-02-10 23:49

Nice and useful app, working great with my Philips TV. Intuitive UI.

Kudos to author.

Shinigamijim 2012-02-11 04:18

Hey i just install it and nice looking app, great work!

I also would like the Mute option, but how about... making it mute by pressing longer (2sec) instead of another button.

Evilson 2012-02-11 08:11

Nice App. Cant you use the codes from the psp "IRSHELL" ?

patemera 2012-02-11 10:58

Great App! it just work!! is it possible to add topfield TF600 coc?
Thanks!

Copernicus 2012-02-11 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shinigamijim (Post 1163416)
I also would like the Mute option, but how about... making it mute by pressing longer (2sec) instead of another button.

Well, I've already set up all the buttons in Pierogi to work the same way buttons on pretty much all remote controls do -- the command associated with the button will continue to repeat for as long as you keep the button pressed. It might get confusing if holding a button down did something different than that...

Copernicus 2012-02-11 12:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilson (Post 1163439)
Nice App. Cant you use the codes from the psp "IRSHELL" ?

Hmm. I'm not a PSP user myself; I don't really know anything about "IRSHELL". Is it an open source product?

Copernicus 2012-02-11 12:19

Quote:

Originally Posted by patemera (Post 1163471)
is it possible to add topfield TF600 coc?

I believe so, the LIRC has a handful of good Topfield config files. I'll put them on my list. :)

udaychaitanya16 2012-02-11 12:29

It worked readily with sony TV.Thanks a lot.But when I tried with a satellite receiver made by TATA SKY with other companies,It did not work.During that settings, I have observed that when I selected philips company and satellite receiver device,programme locked down philips only and it did not allow me to change that until I close the programme.I think its not normal.

Thank you.

qwazix 2012-02-11 13:10

what about samsung airconditioners? No hurry, i'm not gonna use it till summer anyway.

Copernicus 2012-02-11 13:17

Quote:

Originally Posted by udaychaitanya16 (Post 1163491)
But when I tried with a satellite receiver made by TATA SKY with other companies,It did not work.

I've gotta admit, I have not had good luck with any of the satellite services as of yet. Most of them seem to want to use their own IR protocols, and I just can't find good data on those protocols... I'll keep at it. :)

Copernicus 2012-02-11 13:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by qwazix (Post 1163498)
what about samsung airconditioners? No hurry, i'm not gonna use it till summer anyway.

No need to wait, I've already got a Samsung airconditioner keyset in Pierogi. You'll have to play around with the keys a bit, I've currently got the temperature keys mapped to channel up and channel down, and a lot of the other keys just mapped to numbers on the keypad. (I didn't think anyone would really be interested in that keyset... :) )

Evilson 2012-02-11 13:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copernicus (Post 1163484)
Hmm. I'm not a PSP user myself; I don't really know anything about "IRSHELL". Is it an open source product?

No its not open source but the codes are in "rdf" files here is the Dl link.

praveenchand 2012-02-11 14:09

Excellent....

Copernicus 2012-02-11 14:34

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, for those folks interested in having a mute button on the main tab, what do you think about this sort of layout: